Notices

Where is the right place...

Old 04-21-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Where is the right place...

to see a thread about AA versus newer methodologies?

I'd love to see some back and forth messages debating the data pertaining to AAs success rate vs. other systems.

Not to start anything...

Just looking for where I can check that out. Appropriately.

JG
Old 04-21-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You won't find debates in this Forum as per our Mandate:

The Newcomers Forum is a safe and welcoming place for newcomers. Respect is essential. Debates over Recovery Methods are not allowed on the Newcomer's Forum. Posts that violate this rule will be removed without notice. (Support and experience only please.

You might check out the Secular forums or some of the other forums on this board.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

The best way to "check out" AA and other recovery methods is to actually try them. Which ones have you tried so far?
Old 04-21-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Run a query for locked threads, because that's where most of those discussions end up.

While we are all experts in our own recovery, we also end up with a natural bias toward the method that is working for us. That tends to make debates about the value/efficacy of the various recovery methods somewhat...ermm...spirited.

I am interested in the topic as well, but purely as academic curiosity. I have yet to read a debate about recovery methods on this forum that enhanced my sober living skills - which was my primary reason for joining.

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 04-21-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Why don't you look around the forum and see what works for people and share what works for you so far?
The bottom line is that there are many ways to get sober: why would I diss someone else's method of recovery? I m just happy they are sober too.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA member

Try different recovery methods yourself and find out what works for you.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nonsensical wins the award for best answer.

A funny sentence after you've typed it.

Yeah. I'm sure that a thread like that devolves into ludicrousness, especially on the internet, but i want to read it. For the same reason--curiosity. I'm a curious person, part of how I ended up in this situation, haha.

I don't think it's smart for me to list what I've tried and what has worked for me and what I don't like. Or even what I'm doing now.

But rest assured...I'm not trying to find some loophole where I can drink a little. That boat has sailed...and i was on it with a Mai Tai.

I'm joking. Mai Tais are way to sweet for me to get drunk on.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Please don't reject anything based on someone else's opinion. You could be missing
the one thing that brings you that miracle. Try it for yourself and give it a chance.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by letsgowithJ
I don't think it's smart for me to list what I've tried and what has worked for me and what I don't like. Or even what I'm doing now.
All that matters is that you are honest with yourself about what works, what doesn't, and what you are doing now. Its therapeutic to share at time for me, but everyone is different.

The bottom line - you know if you are doing enough to stay sober, so hold yourself accountable.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
All that matters is that you are honest with yourself about what works, what doesn't, and what you are doing now. Its therapeutic to share at time for me, but everyone is different.

The bottom line - you know if you are doing enough to stay sober, so hold yourself accountable.
oh yeah. i didn't mean to criticize your comment. I just think if I put "i tried this in X program. And I hate this about X program."..it invites opinions which would make this thread into a debate which would probably devolve into sillyness and get moved.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

I love vanilla. I don't enjoy orange flavored things.

Everyone is different and everyone has some path that can lead them to sobriety.

What's your sober path going to need?

If life is ok after not drinking, try anything but AA.

If you've tried everything and life sucks after getting sober, maybe working the 12 steps can help change your perspective. Maybe not.

I wish you well on your sober journey!

I believe Life Ring is a method which gives you the ability to create your own sober path.