Notices

Help me figure out the WHY

Old 04-23-2014, 07:13 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I am a total novice at sobriety, so take what I say with a huge grain of salt (!!!). I am personally looking inward to see if I can find a pattern that helps me understand my triggers. Not "I saw an icy cold beer, I was thirsty and I wanted one" (who doesn't have that thought in the beginning -- Pavlov conditioning) but rather "x happened today, I felt powerless, like when y happened in my past, and I craved a drink out of the blue". I dunno, maybe it will be useful. It harkens back to what many on SR say, that your decision (conscious or subconscious) to relapse happens well before you take that first drink.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:06 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by unchartedxo View Post
Since I typically only drink like once a week, I am scared that I will start being resentful of not drinking.

Ok. How to explain without it sounding odd.

The Brewhouse were my husband and I got married is one of my FAVORITE places to go. They have outside seating by the river, craft beer they brew there themselves, and the have a wildfire pizza company that comes in and does personal pizzas. Have 2 beers, a pizza and sitting by the river is one of our favorite things to do. How the hell can I still do one of my favorite things? Order soda water instead of beer?

Because again. When I have the 2 beers there, it makes me so happy. The taste is amazing. The warm fuzzies. The serene feeling.

I probably sound absolutely crazy to you all.
One of the biggest fears I think we all face is we'll never feel the 'warm fuzzies' again, but you will - those moments aren't magic because of the beer - they're magic because you're there with the one you love. I think it's a better feeling without the beer, myself

I understand it's difficult to believe without having experienced it yet, but you're telling yourself half truths or outright lies here, and swallowing them hook line and sinker here unchartedxo

Noone would stay in recovery if they felt they lost out on the deal, right?
That's just human nature.

Follow those people who are sober, and happy about it

D