Notices

Perception vs Reality

Old 04-21-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Nonsensical - I think we can also describe our internal conflicts as a pretty classic and extreme case of cognitive dissonance. Conflicting perceptions.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
Nonsensical - I think we can also describe our internal conflicts as a pretty classic and extreme case of cognitive dissonance. Conflicting perceptions.
I've already confused enough people today, don'tcha think?
Old 04-21-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

This is one of the best threads i've seen in a long long time...

awesome
Old 04-21-2014, 12:11 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
I've already confused enough people today, don'tcha think?
Haha, I was actually going to post something visual about "opposing forces" in the addicted brain here, but maybe not today

I liked your original association. Addiction may not be an optical illusion, but definitely creates false emotional perceptions.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I find this fascinating too, especially in relation to addiction. I think that's why AVRT was interesting to me because it's a technique or strategy for overriding or circumventing that struggle between two opposing sides within one mind.

It's like watching a movie where the camera is soaring over high mountains. I KNOW that my arse is planted firmly in the seat, but it FEELS like I'm flying...so much so that I have a visceral response to the visual input, heart beating, stomach dropping, sweaty palms, quickened breath. Its not real, but it sure as hell feels like it. That's where the lines get blurred.

The mind can be trained though to not respond in automatic ways. Buddhists have been doing it for thousands of years. Our military has been doing it for less years, but equally as effectively. If a monk can remain seated whilst on fire, or a navy seal can remain underwater long past when his brain screams for him to get to the top, then I can certainly learn to override/wait out cravings.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hey! I squinted my eyes and could see it was the same color with my blurry vision. Not too scientific but it worked.

I like it. Thanks Non!
Old 04-22-2014, 03:49 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Not a problem, it was just an analogy, and you have actually helped make the point I was originally driving at.

I found it very difficult to accept the fact that I could never drink again because my brain kept telling me that there must be a way. Despite the growing mountain of evidence to the contrary, there had to be a way.

There had to be a way, DAMMIT!

Letting go of my own perceptions and accepting the reality of the situation has produced much better results.
I like this!