Notices

Physical Addiction Hell

Old 04-18-2014, 10:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Physical Addiction Hell

Hi there,
I am heavily addicted to benzodiazepines. I am at tolerance withdrawal at 40-50 mg of diazepam/day and am now using .25 - 1 mg of clonazepam per day as well and even then I need to take Nyquil or Gravol to sleep at night.
I know everyone says it's impossible because the half-life is long for Valium but it's possible. It wakes me up every morning. I get sweats, insomnia... I'm 34, been on for 3 and a half years - max dose clonazepam first, then lorazepam, now diazepam for the past year
I can barely think anymore. I need help but I don't think you can get in-patient treatment for benzo addiction. I wish I never tried these drugs - I want to get off so badly.
My doctors tried a 12 week taper and I ended up at a crisis unit after the first step down.
Is there hope for me? I need to get off this.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Where I live, you can certainly get in-patient treatment for benzo addiction. I'm not sure why it would be treated any differently than addiction to opiates or alcohol - it is a serious addiction, and unlike opiate withdrawal, unsupervised withdrawal from benzos can be physically dangerous. If I were you, I would make an effort to find an inpatient program for the detox piece of your recovery at the very least. You will feel much safer and more secure during your detox with readily available medical supervision and round the clock support.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I also think you would feel safer with a professional detox.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There is no professional detox for benzos where I live, in Manitoba, Canada.
I have three kids, am a single dad. I'm worried about my future.
thanks for telling me what you think - maybe I might need to go away for a bit. Doesn't fast detox cause more problems in the long run
Old 04-19-2014, 12:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you joined us.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would go back to your doctor, explain what happened with the recommended taper, and see what he/she says. I worked in a rehab facility near me for awhile, and I can tell you that they didn't do a long taper with benzos - or any significant taper that I recall. But they administered medication to counteract the more dangerous withdrawal symptoms. I know there is the danger of seizures with benzo withdrawal, as there is with alcohol. One of the doctors at the treatment facility told me that alcohol and benzos are very similar in their chemical makeup.

You asked in your first post if there is hope for you. Of course there is. You absolutely can get off the pills. Don't give up after your first try. Go back to your doctor, work out a new plan, and do a medically supervised detox. Be persistent. You can do this.