Notices

Can Alcohol be blamed for mental health?

Old 04-18-2014, 06:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can Alcohol be blamed for mental health?

Hi. This is my first day on this site. I've been dealing with depression, anxiety and jealousy lately. It started about 2 years ago. I became close to someone and became extremely jealous and had panic attacks to the point where I got sick. I'm wondering if alcohol has anything to do with our mental state. I'm learning about alcohol and depression. Can it make you paranoid and jealous? Stuff like that?
Old 04-18-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Absolutely alcohol abuse can be a major causative factor in mental health issues.

I'm not a Dr - but I've lived it.
My mental health has never been better since I quit.

Give yourself a little time for mind and body to heal Joey
D
Old 04-18-2014, 07:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks. Actually I'm Mary lol I use joey (my puppy)

I never knew alcohol can do that to you. I went to a therapist for Depression and was surprised when the discussion was more about my drinking. I really never knew it could be connected. I've been angry allot too always yelling at my poor kids and husband.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found drinking exacerbated my depression, my anxiety, paranoia, jealousy and a lot of other things - even when I wasn't drunk.

It did clear up tho once I stopped for good.

& sorry - I usually go by user name unless I get supplementary info - thanks Mary

D
Old 04-18-2014, 07:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

WOW I'm learning so much. I never thought wine would play a role in my mental state. I'm trying so hard to quit. Just had my first visit with a therapist on Friday. I hope he can help me decrease the amount of wine I drink each night.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Interesting, I never thought of jealousy and alcohol. I guess any negative emotion would naturally be enhanced with alcohol.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope he can help me decrease the amount of wine I drink each night.
Is your aim to cut down Mary?

D
Old 04-18-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well actually I wasn't planning on it until I went to see my therapist for my depression, etc. He asked me if I drank and I told him and he said the two can be connected. So the meeting was more about trying to get me to cut down to see whether I'm depressed from drinking, or if I'm drinking because I'm depressed. So I guess yeh I'm trying to cut down. Allot. lol
Old 04-18-2014, 08:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ah! The chicken or the egg. Well Mary, I know for sure alcohol played a major role in screwing up my head. I've been 'sober' for almost four months. I have a lot going on that is very depressing. But I feel much better now that I am not drinking. I would have been a basket case 4 months ago over what happened. Now I'm just trying to figure out what to do next to right myself. I have very little if any anxiety or depression. I don't take any medication, I'm just finally starting to think right.
So in my experience alcohol messes with the brain big time.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

When I don't drink I'm a lot happier, calmer and nicer to be around.

During the worst of my drinking, before I decided to quit, I was intensely paranoid. Almost crippled by it.

I feel a lot better not drinking. I still have anxiety, but not the crazy out of control emotions I had when I was drinking.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Drinking made my underlying depression worse. When I quit drinking or was going through withdrawal I had horribly intense panic and anxiety attacks without realizing at the time that it was withdrawal. Horrible pain in my gut and feeling like I was having a heart attack. Ick. Alcohol clouds thoughts and sometimes makes me perceive things that aren't true or there so I can see paranoia and jealousy being part of that. So yes, alcohol does affect my mental health. Once I quit drinking any alcohol all those things went away.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Hi Mary,

In my case, my panic attacks stopped and general anxiety is much better now that I'm sober. So my answer would be, yes, you could blame the alcohol.

I hope you will stick around and keep reading the posts of those of us with a lot of experience in dealing with these types of issues. Many of us have found the only answer was to stop drinking altogether.

Good Luck!
Old 04-19-2014, 04:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Like others here I began to have panic attacks. They got so severe that I had to see a counselor about it. Before my first appointment I found SR on a Google search and it opened my eyes that alcohol more than likely was the problem. So to rule out alcohol I quit. Then I realized how hard it was to quit so this helped me realize I had a problem with alcohol. That was really tough to admit!

I still believe alcohol has affected my mental health but each day is getting better. I'm learning to deal with stress in a healthy way. This is a great outlet to share experiences with others etc. and were all going through this together. As my brain and body heal I feel each sober day is a gift I've given myself. I was truly miserable drunk. I just had to get sober to see that. 126 days sober! Thank you Lord...
Old 04-19-2014, 05:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sobriety that's great I agree with u totally I have panic n it's very closely related to my drinking im gonna stop for good now I'm at the end of day 2 now
Old 04-19-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Mental health issues and alcohol/drug abuse go hand-in-hand! Many of us who have underlying mental health issues use alcohol to "self-medicate." And heavy use of alcohol can certainly cause mood instability.

Like others here, I have dealt with anxiety and depression. I drink when I am anxious, which only makes the anxiety worse and makes it more likely that I'll have a panic attack. If I drink too much, I get into a depression. It is worth talking to your doctor about.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lilac0721 View Post
Mental health issues and alcohol/drug abuse go hand-in-hand! Many of us who have underlying mental health issues use alcohol to "self-medicate." And heavy use of alcohol can certainly cause mood instability.

Like others here, I have dealt with anxiety and depression. I drink when I am anxious, which only makes the anxiety worse and makes it more likely that I'll have a panic attack. If I drink too much, I get into a depression. It is worth talking to your doctor about.
Yer im taking all natural stuff for mood n anxiety now as well as gaba tablets and that makes me feel good
Old 04-19-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mary,

I think alcohol has a profound effect on mental health.

I was depressed for many years before I began drinking. So, in my case the drinking was an attempt to self-medicate the depression, but ended up making it so much worse - lots of paranoia and panic attacks. So, I have gotten my depression treated and haven't had a drink in years and my depression is manageable. It's fair to say that my depression never gets the best of me now.

I hope that you do decide to stop drinking.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Alcohol can definitely be blamed for disparaged mental health. I think I am literally going insane right now due to a number of things, but my alcoholism being the main catalyst.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Drinking eventually messed up my head big time. I even experienced hallucinations on one occasion and checked in to a mental ward! My anxiety became crippling as well. No such experiences at all since quitting.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:40 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I found drinking exacerbated my depression, my anxiety, paranoia, jealousy and a lot of other things - even when I wasn't drunk.

It did clear up tho once I stopped for good.

& sorry - I usually go by user name unless I get supplementary info - thanks Mary

D
My experience is exactly the same as Dee says above. In my drinking days I was depressed, anxious, jealous, paranoid and angry and drinking made it worse.

Now sober my depression has gone ,my anxiety and associated paranoia occurs occasionally but is managed well. I rarely get angry and never jealous anymore.

Alcohol is a depressant and a massively dangerous drug affecting our mental wellbeing to a huge extent. anti ds,anxiety meds had little effect on me when actively drinking as the drinking was causing the problem. I had to stop to have any chance of recoveryto my mental health