Notices

Can Alcohol be blamed for mental health?

Old 04-20-2014, 12:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joey0530 View Post

I'm learning about alcohol and depression. Can it make you paranoid and jealous? Stuff like that?
it sure can I have been there

when you have some sober time
you will get much better regarding these issues

MM
Old 04-20-2014, 12:51 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

drinking and jealousy

Previous research has shown that both alcohol use and jealousy are related to negative relationship outcomes. Little work, however, has examined direct associations between alcohol use and jealousy. The current study was aimed to build upon existing research examining alcohol use and jealousy. More specifically, findings from current jealousy literature indicate that jealousy is a multifaceted construct with both maladaptive and adaptive aspects. The current study examined the association between maladaptive and adaptive feelings of jealousy and alcohol-related problems in the context of drinking to cope. Given the relationship between coping motives and alcohol-related problems, our primary interest was in predicting alcohol-related problems, but alcohol consumption was also investigated. Undergraduate students at a large Northwestern university (N = 657) in the US participated in the study. They completed measures of jealousy, drinking to cope, alcohol use, and alcohol-related problems. Analyses examined associations between jealousy subscales, alcohol use, drinking to cope, and drinking problems. Results indicated that drinking to cope mediated the association between some, but not all, aspects of jealousy and problems with alcohol use. In particular, the more negative or maladaptive aspects of jealousy were related to drinking to cope and drinking problems, while the more adaptive aspects were not, suggesting a more complex view of jealousy than previously understood.
http--www.sciencedirect.com-science-article-pii-S0306460313002554

Does Depression Lead to Alcohol Abuse?

Nearly one-third of people with major depression also have an alcohol problem, according to one major study conducted by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. In many cases, depression may be the first to occur. Research shows that children who are depressed are more prone to develop alcohol problems once they reach adolescence. Teens who've had an episode of major depression are twice as likely as those who aren't depressed to start drinking alcohol.

Depression may be a particularly significant trigger for alcohol use in women, who are more than twice as likely to start drinking heavily if they have a history of depression. Experts say that women are more likely than men to self-medicate with alcohol.

Does Alcohol Abuse Lead to Depression?

A number of studies have shown that alcohol abuse increases the risk for depression. This connection may be because of the direct neurotoxic effects of heavy alcohol exposure to the brain. Researchers know that heavy alcohol consumption can lead to periods of depression.
Alcohol Use, Abuse, and Depression: Is There a Connection?

Alcohol abuse also can have serious repercussions on a person's life, leading to financial and legal troubles, impaired thinking and judgment, as well as marital stress. If you're struggling with money or grappling with a failed relationship, you're more likely to feel depressed.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:52 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Absolutely..alcohol can have a profound effect on our mental health.

Alcohol is a depressant and it is addictive. I was like you in that I didn't realise the 2 were so closely linked. I thought I drank because it actually HELPED my moods..

I had to quit drinking altogether, and my mental health issues have drastically reduced. I had major panic attacks, anxiety and depression too. Quitting the booze and having therapy worked hand in hand for me.