Notices

Advice on staying sober while abroad

Old 04-18-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice on staying sober while abroad

Hello ,

I am new here but not new to recovery , been in and out of 12 step rooms, rehabs,etc for over 10 years with very little success. I had almost two years clean and sober once but fell .. its been mostly in and out and a struggle. Meth is my drug of choice but since quitting that three months ago the drinking has increased and gotten out of hand. I was recently told by my doctor that my stomach pain and breathing problems are caused by drinking so I must stop, i keep trying to stop with no more than three to four days of success. I go to meetings, have had sponsors and more but the compulsion to drink whenever i am out and have money in my pocket is great.

My main question is how does one stay sober and still meet people and enjoy themselves . I am going to Europe in a few days and will be staying in youth hostels and be around alcohol. How do I say no and stick to it and enjoy my time without alcohol. This is a real difficult struggle ... thanks for reading.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

How badly do you want to stay sober? In my early days I had to keep reminding myself of how much I wanted to stay sober - much more than I wanted to drink. If you get to the point where you want to be sober more than you want to drink, you should be able to stay sober in the face of temptation.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Robby111 View Post

My main question is how does one stay sober and still meet people and enjoy themselves . I am going to Europe in a few days and will be staying in youth hostels and be around alcohol. How do I say no and stick to it and enjoy my time without alcohol. This is a real difficult struggle ... thanks for reading.
while out on the road and in foreign countries
I like to attend AA meetings
they help to keep me on track
but
it sounds like you don't have much time if any
it may be rough staying sober
going to take more than a solid game plan

hope that you are taking a lap top
so as to stay in touch here

MM
Old 04-18-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Robby

I'm not going to lie to you - Europe and youth hostels is a big call for someone with only a little sober time.

I'd make sure I had all the support possible to call on.

Post here as often as you need to - and why not check out English speaking AA meetings in the various places you visit too?

D
Old 04-18-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Least has it bang on.

If I may add, your doctor did tell you need to stop, please don't wait until you damage your body irreversibly. Then you will loose your quality of life, making sobriety even harder.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good advice on going to meetings abroad Mountainman , I have googled meetings in the countries I will be in and found some English speaking ones. I want to meet people (and girls) when I am traveling but have no idea where to do that besides a bar. I know i dont need to be in a bar right now.

Least - I honestly do not want to completely stop drinking BUT I have bleeding in my stomach and pain every time I drink so I MUST stop drinking ... I have been around awhile but struggle with finding the strength to not drink . My health is forcing me to be sober .. so in saying that I want to live so yes I want to stay sober ... just dont know how
Old 04-18-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

@Dee , yes i remember from my previous Europe trips that youth hostels have lots of drinking. I cannot afford hotels so have to stay in hostels .. its a worry for sure. I just found at least a few aa meetings in every city i will be in so thats good. I just worry about the temptation. I struggle here in Idaho and I go to meetings several times a week .. just when the thought to drink comes i forget i cant drink .. im sure some people can relate to that
Old 04-18-2014, 05:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think a lot of us can relate to that - only I never forgot I can't drink - I just said 'eff it', and did it anyway.

If, instead of doing that, you reach out and ask for help, there's no reason why this can't be a sober vacation.

It'll be a little work, but you'll be pleased with the results when you're back at home

D
Old 04-18-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

true, i usually dont forget but think it will be different this time or that my health issues are not as bad. I soooo want this to be a sober vacation, want to remember it. I dont remember last time i was in europe. I will stay in contact here , go to meetings and try to stay out of bars. Thanks for your input. Appreciate the support
Old 04-18-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree patman , if i stop now I can be okay .. 22 years of drinking and drugging does take its toll , that is for damn sure.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Robby111 View Post
,,,,.......BUT I have bleeding in my stomach and pain every time I drink so I MUST stop drinking ...

maybe print this out (or hand write it ) on a little card, and pop it out to read sometimes.

if you make the effort , a sincere effort , to find English speaking meetings , that'll be interesting in more ways than one. ....locals , and all.

Have fun , ,....I would say good luck , ...but , I'm thinking
';;;;,,,, we all probably need a little more than luck ......imho

luck goes both ways.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Robby ,
I almost forgot ,
Welcome to SR !!!!!!!
Old 04-18-2014, 11:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Topspin. This alcoholism stuff truly sucks. I used to minimize my friends struggles with alcohol because I thought alcohol was no big deal , I have always been a drug addict and had dire consequences from that ... but as i sit here in extreme pain in stomach from drinking I know that drinking IS a big deal and I must stop. That is really good advice, I do not need to go to bars in Europe to meet interesting people ... meetings are great places. Thanks