SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   AV wont shut up! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/329446-av-wont-shut-up.html)

Jillian2563 04-18-2014 11:52 AM

AV wont shut up!

"It's Friday. You don't have to work tomorrow so it'll be okay if you drink tonight." It says.

I'm not do confident that I can abstain tonight.

Urgh!!!

Anna 04-18-2014 11:55 AM

Go out and do something. Call a friend. Go to a movie. Do whatever it takes to get through this.

abcowboy 04-18-2014 11:58 AM

Of course you can Jillian! You recognized that AV, so recognize the person you have become without the alcohol.... one day at a time, remember? Do something tonight for yourself, not your AV and remember, we're here for you....

Happy Easter!

Thepatman 04-18-2014 12:54 PM

Plan the tape of picking up all the way to the end.

Think of how you would feel tomorrow morning...

You got this, change your mind, drink something else that you like.

doggonecarl 04-18-2014 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jillian2563 (Post 4599582)
I'm not do confident that I can abstain tonight.

It is difficult to abstain when we are 100% committed to quitting. It becomes ten times more difficult if the committment is less. In a few previous posts you seem to be clinging to the hope that you can drink. So of course the AV is incessant...what worked before, your addiction is thinking, will work again.

The AV doesn't go away in early recovery. It fades with sobriety. So if you want to shut it up, don't drink.

The cycle is broken right there, with you not picking up a drink. No magic makes you stop wanting to drink. The power of "No" lies within. Harness it, an get through tonight.

Then resume the journey, sober, tomorrow.

duane1 04-18-2014 01:03 PM

You are feeding that AV with your doubt. Shut it down by telling it no way, no how will you be drinking tonight. Until I came to the realization that I simply could not drink anymore, I was fighting a losing battle.

readerbaby71 04-18-2014 02:01 PM

Think the drink through. How will you feel tomorrow? Imagine enjoying your weekend without feeling sick and full of guilt. Every time you resist you become stronger. You can do it. xoxo

freshstart57 04-18-2014 02:36 PM

You are not your thoughts and cravings, you are a self identity within your mind. Your self has firm and final control over your behaviour.

You can know beyond any doubt that your addiction has ended, and you will see hope, and self respect, and joy and peace again. It is within your power, within your control, to make your plan about continuing to drink alcohol. Are you ready to make that plan?

OBXNC77 04-18-2014 08:15 PM

I too heard my AV on my way home from work. My bossman let me go home early and my girl wasnt expecting me home until later. I had to drive past one of my old hangouts. I had cash in my pocket and time to kill. I drove past the bar fast as i could. I knew where "one" would lead too.

Woozy 04-18-2014 09:57 PM

Keep posting here tonight!