Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Question:tell kids "mom is an alcoholic" or "mom struggled with alcohol"

Notices

Question:tell kids "mom is an alcoholic" or "mom struggled with alcohol"

Old 04-19-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by izzy8 View Post
Amazing, I laughed when I read your post(at myself). I guess I'm learning what part of it all is the disease. But I believe now more than ever that it is one.
Izzy my friend , I compare it to cancer, with work it CAN be beaten into submission/remission, but we need to be ever vigilant to keep it in check! Hope you and yours have an excellent Easter Weekend! Stay Strong and Well ! Bobby
Old 04-19-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Amazing, thanks for that analogy. It helps me in my steps forward. I'm learning about people who use aa/ those who dont(not wanting to start as controversy) and figuring out what is best for not just me but my family.

CP and Holli(of whom I am very envious- I saw them YEARS ago!), both of your comments are so helpful. I like many things I see about aa but I want to get to a place that I can say, " I struggled with alcohol. I will always have to be careful but the main battle is behind me. But if I do chose AA, it's helpful to think about- that what I say there I don't have to proclaim to the world bc I do also see how this is chronic. Since it's been an issue(not fully but problematic here and there) since I was 14, I get that.

Holli, I think you get my heart on how this factors in relationally with the kiddos. Especially when you have that transparency and trust, it's important to handle huge things like this sensitively, I think. Really appreciate your tips -it's helped me already lose the fear focus i had.

Hijack away!

And Happy Easter! BTW, I also have an entire side of alcoholic family. That's part of why I love all of the thoughts, here. It really is a big deal and new territory for me.