SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hello, I'm new! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/329342-hello-im-new.html)

sunshinepepper 04-17-2014 11:31 AM

Hello, I'm new!

I'm a 29 year old female from the sunny Caribbean. I'm two weeks sober as of today.

I have a lot of trouble fitting in, as I'm naturally introverted. For years I used alcohol to overcome shyness and anxiety. It was fine at first. I enjoyed the popularity of being an "it" girl, but eventually the facade started crumbling and I had to drink more and more to keep up outward appearances. Things got worse when I was diagnosed with ADHD and depression. After a string of alcohol-related failures in my career, friendships and love, I've decided to quit drinking entirely.

I don't have any friends to confide in at the moment (my ex got them all after our recent breakup), so I joined SR to find a support system for myself. It hasn't been easy at all but I keep telling myself, "one day at a time." Hopefully one day I'll be one who can offer advice and inspiration to others on this forum!

Thepatman 04-17-2014 11:37 AM

Welcome to SR!

You will have good support here, the folks are very nice.

HeadLump 04-17-2014 11:41 AM

Welcome, SunshinePepper :wave: It's great to have you on board :hug:

IOAA2 04-17-2014 11:42 AM

Welcome and continue your progress. One of the best pieces of advise I got was "keep coming." That turned out to be invaluable.

BE WELL

LBrain 04-17-2014 11:47 AM

Welcome sunshinepepper, you will get plenty of support here.
Congrats on your decision and 2 weeks.
Is it possible to find an aa meeting where you live?

AA Caribbean

SoberLeigh 04-17-2014 11:49 AM

Welcome to SR, sunshinepepper. And congrats on 2 sober weeks. Glad you found us. I have only been here for 2 months but it feels like home.

hayley86 04-17-2014 11:51 AM

Welcome, congrats on 2 weeks. You'll find lots of support and understanding here. :)

sunshinepepper 04-17-2014 12:23 PM

I didn't know about this! Thanks so much for the link.

KateL 04-17-2014 02:24 PM

Welcome Sunshinepepper xxx

Hevyn 04-17-2014 02:36 PM

Greetings sunshinepepper. You're among friends who care and understand.

I drank to calm my nerves and anxiety. In the end it only made things worse. I didn't mature the way I should have. Staying numb I avoided having the necessary feelings & emotions to grow. I wish I'd realized what I was doing to myself at 29 - it took me much longer. I'm glad you're here. :)

Dee74 04-17-2014 04:42 PM

Welcome sunshinepepper :)

I'm not as outgoing as I was when drinking - but this is the real me. It's no mistake that the friends I have now, who know the real me, are worth their weight in gold.

There's lots of support here - I'm glad you've found us :)

D

HighWireGirl 04-17-2014 05:37 PM

I started drinking because I thought it helped me relax and made me more interesting. At the end of my run, I was an unreliable nervous wreck. Congratulations on a firm two weeks. Best of luck, as well.

Marjoram 04-17-2014 05:44 PM

Welcome SunshinePepper - you'll find lots of love and support here from all different types of people that will teach you lots - have open ears, an open mind, and an open heart.

Sulu1 04-17-2014 05:50 PM

Welcome sunshinepepper and congratulations on your decision to put down the drink.

I can relate as I too used booze to 'aid' my anxiety and shyness in social situations. A few years down the line both were way worse than before.

You will find lots of support here :)

Mags1 04-17-2014 05:55 PM

Hi and Welcome Sunshinepepper.
Well done on two weeks sober.
Lots of info and help here at SR xx

least 04-17-2014 05:59 PM

Congrats on two weeks sober and welcome to the SR family. :hug:

Amazingglazier 04-17-2014 07:15 PM

Welcome SunshinePepper, hope you hang on for the ride on the sober train! Congrats! Stay Strong and Well ! Bobby

sunshinepepper 05-09-2014 11:47 AM

Wow, thanks for the support everyone! I'm finding it a bit difficult at the moment so it was really helpful to read these kind words.

HeadLump 05-09-2014 11:49 AM

Keep reading and posting, sunshinepepper. You don't need to fight this alone :grouphug:

anewpage 05-09-2014 12:09 PM

Welcome Sunshine! I'm exactly the same. I started drinking as a way to overcome my shyness and social anxiety until it all went too far. I've decided to tackle my anxieties without alcohol. I hope you find lots of support here. :)