Notices

I just cannot find the will to eat! Pleaze help

Old 04-17-2014, 09:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I just cannot find the will to eat! Pleaze help

Yesterday I went all workday long exhausted with a hangover and I didnt eat until way later last night after drinking a 12 pack. I ordered pzza and ate half of the thing.

Now is another workday and I have zero appetite. What are some things I can consider eating when nothing soumds appealing. Help everyone I dont eat during luch break and I know this is unacceptable.

Surely my body wanys food even though my brain is telling me "nahhh"
Old 04-17-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Everytime I am in this condition at work I want only water and cigarretes. Just ugh!
Old 04-17-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The only tip I can give you is to consider stopping drinking completely.

If sticking a fork in your eyes hurts, then stop sticking a fork in your eyes.

Hope you feel better soon
Old 04-17-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thepatman View Post
The only tip I can give you is to consider stopping drinking completely.

If sticking a fork in your eyes hurts, then stop sticking a fork in your eyes.

Hope you feel better soon
Thanks. I know this is a forum supporting continuous sonriety not a whiney active abuser looking for pro tips. I just want to think of meatball sandwiches and seasoned fish and things and actually get excited to eat again.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I quit using opiates, I literally detested food. My only tip is broth. It sounds silly, but if drinking a liquid seems less disturbing, make your food intake liquid. Broth and smoothies kept me going during withdrawals.

Last edited by SkyBlueSky; 04-17-2014 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Edited the post for clarity about the word "drinking."
Old 04-17-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA member

If you stay sober your appetite will return.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

We support everyone at SR, not just the ones sober.

But we do encourage sobriety by sharing our experiences with Alcohol, often times very painful experiences.

Like I said, and I am not a doctor and see one if you are worried, but the drinking is what is most likely killing your appetite.

Are you considering stopping?
Old 04-17-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SkyBlueSky View Post
When I quit using opiates, I literally detested food. My only tip is broth. It sounds silly, but if drinking seems less disturbing, make your food intake liquid. Broth and smoothies kept me going during withdrawals.
Yep its probably a keva juice lunch today. Good idea.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Start by carrying protein bars and electrolyte fluids. A little bite here, a little sip there; goes a long way. Keep hard candies in your pocket, a pack of chewing gum and a bowl of nuts nearby. You will eat, and will be astonished at how much less cravings you experience.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Anything liquid based always helps me. Soup and fruit is usually my go to. But I also will grab a sandwich and just takes bites throughout the day. Eating and drinking WATER and electrolytes are your best bet in feeling better. And of course, to stop all alcohol.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the kind words. And thanks for the reminder storminormi, I dont have to absolutely scarf down what ever it is im eating. An energy bar! That sounds kinda good, I forgot about them!
Old 04-17-2014, 11:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Your digestive system is likely telling you something Nevar. I exclusively drank beer and had the same problem the day after. I wouldn't really eat anything until after a few beers after work each day.

The only solution is to stop drinking, there are no magic foods/pills/tricks that will somehow make your appetite come back. Eventually you can damage your digestive tract beyond repair if you really ignore it for long enough.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was a water and cigarettes type of person while nursing a hangover. I hated eating and still have to remind myself that my body needs food. I have to make myself eat a lot of the time. I carry small snacks with me and find eating them throughout the day is more acceptable to my stomach than eating a big meal. Yesterday it was a bunch of cut up vegetables...baby carrots, cucumbers and celery. cheese and crackers. A cup of yogurt. A bag of honey nut Cheerios. An apple. A banana. Soup is good too. Cigarettes will only make you anxious if you don't eat. And sour your stomach. And if you are trying to quit drinking or even cut back you are more likely to drink to get rid of the anxiety. Not condemning the smoking since that is one bad habit I still have. Just my experience.