Notices

Old 04-16-2014, 07:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi all

I'm so glad I found this forum. It makes me feel less alone. I am now 13 days sober. The first week I felt like crap. Tired etc.

Just looking forward to staying off the drink but know relapse may happen. I'm not going to AA because it is too religious for me and I read the 12 steps and didn't really like the messages about giving up to GOD etc. We are in control of our own destinies and it is within ourselves to be strong enough to stay sober. AA is probably a good support system for some but I just can't bring myself to it.

I'm seeing a drug an alcohol counsellor once a week and have great support from my family.

It has been hard this last two weeks. I have felt like drinking but didn't have any. I have problems with anxiety and use alcohol to cope. But it really just makes it worse.

C
Old 04-16-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome crlion. Congratulations on making it the first thirteen days.
The old AA scares me because of the religious aspect of it trick. You're prolly to young to remember Get Smart. Many many people are turned off by that. I was too. I go to meetings. Give it a chance. There are some other options available as you will soon find out. Do not discount AA based on your beliefs. You may find it works for you. At least give it a try. I promise you will learn something if you go with an open mind. Just let it sink in for a bit. You don't have to go all out AA if you don't want to. For me it reinforces the fact that I do not want to ever drink again.
You'll find much support on SR. Good luck.
No harm, no foul. Go to a few meetings. What have you got to lose except an hour or so that keeps you from drinking.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Are you an athiest? Agnostic? Just put it out there... Im curious
Old 04-16-2014, 08:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Crlion. There are many programs and plans you can use to learn how to live sober, AA is just one of them. You can read about them here in the sub forums or even right here I the newcomers section. Glad you could join us!
Old 04-16-2014, 09:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome crlion

There's many different approaches and methods of recovery around - here's some links to some of the main players:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

D
Old 04-16-2014, 09:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks

Thanks for the responses.
Captain I don't really know what I believe. I was brought up Catholic and then as I got older just don't believe in God I guess.

AA might be an option in the future. I'll see how I go.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Hello and welcome xxxxx