Notices

The last time

Old 04-16-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

The last time

I heard something at a meeting that really made me think. The question was, "Do you remember the last time you had a good time drinking? "

I thought and thought and the only good times were before I was drinking alcoholicly more than 25 years ago. I was amazed at how much thinking it took.

Alcohol still lies to me and what is scary. I still listen from time to time
Old 04-16-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm with you there. Whenever I think about the last time I actually enjoyed drinking it is a stretch back in time. Towards the end it wasn't fun. And only felt mildly enjoyable. I had to drink to maintain or go into withdrawal. The thought now of having even a mild buzz after a glass of wine turns my stomach. Even with that thought, I've been struggling lately against cravings.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I was doing maintenance drinking too in the end. It had been decades since I'd had that euphoric feeling I kept chasing. When I finally convinced myself it could never come back, I was able to let go.

I think it's about 25 yrs. for me too - maybe longer. I don't now why I was such a slow learner. Thanks for a thought provoking post MIRecovery.