Notices

new. scared for health

Old 04-16-2014, 04:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new. scared for health

I know the answer is go to doctor, and I will. however, I'm not quite ready yet. I'm hoping to find someone on the forum who can they hold my hand through the next few days to get me there. Help me to know what to expect. In my mind I have been completely able to stop, but its taking my health concerns to be out of control to get there. I'm hoping that somebody can help find some hope so I don't feel like it's not worth it to go to the doctor. Maybe somebody can help me understand that I might not die.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Everyone's different. Some have more damage. Some have less damage. We don't know until we go to the doctor. Mine ran blood tests to screen for liver enzymes, blood sugar, cholesterol, etc. blood pressure checked. Go to the doctor sooner than later. I always tend to put off going. It doesn't help me by doing that because if there is something wrong I'm not doing anything to correct the problem now before any damage is done. I'm pre diabetic. Could have started on a healthier lifestyle months ago.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi luisalehz

I was convinced I was going to die but it turned out that my liver etc were all fine...

I know it's scary but it really is worth it to see your Dr - the worry about what horrible things might be happening can really make us anxious and feel worse.

Put your mind at rest and get checked out.

I drank for 20 years...drinking nearly finished me - but I'm 7 years sober now.

There really is hope - welcome to SR

D
Old 04-16-2014, 04:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR.

I hope you will go to the Doctor,they are there to help.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by luisalehz View Post

Maybe somebody can help me understand that I might not die.
once we get sober
we find that most all of our fears were in our heads
kind of the nature of the beast it seems

doctors are there to help us
no reason to put off a visit -- they have seen many of our kind before

a doctor can suggest a successful course to recovery

MM
Old 04-16-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's very scary at the point you're at. I sure remember feeling so scared. There were two things that helped me get through it - hope, there is always hope, and really, all that any of us have is just today and this moment. None of us know what will happen tomorrow. So try to stay in the moment and have hope that you will get past this.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi luiz, the body has amazing regenerative powers but you have to stop drinking.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thank you to everyone. I do need to know that there is hope. And I also need to stop googling symptoms! Lol. But in all seriousness I am scared because I have been experiencing some scary symptoms. The good news is I stopped drinking the day after I came home from visiting my parentsin South America 2 weeks ago. I have not touched anything and have no desire at this point to touch anything. & I have had plenty of opportunity. I tend to always fear the worst anyway but like I said I know that I must have done some damage over the course of the last 15 years. Manage to keep a job be a good mom ek cetera but always while drinking too much. Many times I have stopped I never believed that I had the willpower to keep going. In my mind I always knew I would start again and so I did. But this time I feel confident that I want to be healthy, it just comes with the worry that it's too late for me. So I don't really need medical help to quit as I said I have quit and have never had problems putting before nor have I ever gone through withdrawal because my drinking with more binge type. So aside from quitting come on I am Not sure what sort of medical treatment I would need and the thought of it really scares me. I know that I will go to the doctor one day but I also know that I'm not going to go right now. I was just hoping that somebody could tell me that they too had symptoms that scared them and that it turned out they stopped and got better. I'm also wondering what I should be doing about food and nutrition, vitamins or anything like that while I get up the courage to go to the doctor. I hope nobody will judge me for not being brave enough to take that next step but right now I'm just not ready.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Luisalehz, welcome to SR.

Trust me googling symptoms will only make you feel worse. I used to be a bit of a hypochondriac and I'd convince myself I had all sorts of illnesses from looking online.

If it is worrying you this much then surely a Docs visit is vital. Even if it just puts your mind at rest? The body is also a great self healer, I would try not to worry too much for now, and get an appointment booked.

Keep in touch
Old 04-16-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thank you again. I am a bit of a hypochondriac, but this time I know that I have been doing things to warrant validity to my symptoms. I just got engaged to the most wonderful man and as is the case with everything good that happens to me, which is probably why I have a problem in the first place, I feel like it's going to be taken away. Its just helpful to be able to save
Old 04-16-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! I'm glad you found us and joined the family.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I know that fear well. Geeze when I was drinking, I was terrified that my husband was wanting start a family (obviously a poor idea due to the drinking..) because I knew I'd be looked at inside and out, medically. About a year after I stopped drinking (and had a baby!) I was still terrified, I was having what I thought was liver pain. Blood tests, ultrasound etc..which lead to finding out about a gall bladder issue seemingly unrelated. That all being said, it is important to treat any medical condition as early as possible. I lived with my head in the sand for many years, I got lucky. It will be scary, but consider it the first brave step of many towards your lifetime of recovery.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Hi Luisalehz, and welcome. Minus a smattering of quits here and there, I drank away the better part of 26 years. This most recent time I scared myself to death worrying and obsessing over my health. The first week of my quit, my blood pressure was through the roof. So was my blood glucose. That stressed me out so much it got even worse! I went to the doctor a few days later and, for the first time, confessed that I am an alcoholic. He ran the full battery of tests and, as it turns out, looks like I'm gonna live after all. My blood glucose is in what's considered the pre-diabetic range right now, but that's about the worst of it.

Point is, try not to worry yourself too much. As someone else pointed out, the human body is amazingly regenerative. It is geared for survival. The simple act of going to the doctor and fessing up brought my blood pressure down to near normal levels. Two months later, I don't really even need the meds for it anymore. Diet and exercise are very important, as well as whatever other activities you enjoy to keep your mind at peace. You're going to be OK!
Old 04-16-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

God bless you GetMeOut.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Luis, I would urge you to go to the doctor. If it's because you're ashamed of your drinking, you must understand that doctors cannot be shocked by this. They usually have a good idea when someone's drinking anyway, and they love it when the patient is honest and just comes out and tells them. How do I know? My sister is a GP and I've discussed this with her a few times.
As for your fears; you will feel so much better once you have the tests. If you've not had a drink for 2 weeks things are possibly getting back to normal anyway.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to have you here Luisalehz. It feels so good to talk about it with people who understand.

When I went to the doctor to admit I was drinking 'round the clock I was very relieved to have it out in the open. Like GetMeOut, my blood pressure went down and my anxiety lessened. You're going to feel so much better when you get checked out. Glad you joined us.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I can completely relate to how you feel. I came here with similar concerns. My liver enzymes ended up being pretty elevated, my blood pressure had been high, heart worries, I've gained 50 or so pounds due to my drinking....I had all sorts of health fears. The good news is, these all reversed themselves(liver is fine, blood pressure is normal, heart is fine, weight loss is in progress). I hope that gives you some hope as well as the posts above.

Please get to a doctor asap. It will help you ease your mind. Even if there was something wrong caused by your drinking, better to catch it now and treat/reverse it the best you can.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm not sure what the op meant , if you meant quiting can kill you in the short run , the short and skinny of it is yes , if you are / were a very heavy drinker daily for a few years or more then your. Going to want to see a doctor stat after quiting , your blood pressure. Is going to skyrocket , there is chance for seizures, and strokes, don't let these things scare you , doctors got these problems under control, continuing to drink on the otherhand. Is gurenteed to f up your health