Notices

Highly Personal and a long read, but a good idea

Old 04-13-2014, 10:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Highly Personal and a long read, but a good idea

So below, I have chosen to show everyone my letter to alcohol. Interestingly, I was insanely intoxicated when I wrote this. I remember the night. I started drinking at 11:00 AM, and was hammered by 5:00 PM. It was the night before my trip to the doctor to get detoxed. It is also very accurate to how I feel right now. I was going through files when I found this, and forgotten that I wrote it. After reading it, I realized I was in desperation, and needing help. So here it is:

Ethanol,
I have sat here and indulged you for years. You are a fermented liquid that creates a feeling of euphoria. You are nothing more than a brain chemistry alteration that has chosen to take advantage of my neurons in a way that makes my GABA receptors thrive. This makes me have a feeling of death. While consuming you, I have thought about killing myself. I do not like you. The paragraph that follows, is my plan of action and coping with you being all over TV, radio, and all things media.
Tomorrow, Monday January 14th, 2014, will be my last day under your influence. I will no longer look at your ads, your stupid marketing or your stupid wine tastings. I am ridding my life of you for the rest of my life, and that is the end. I do not want my kid having the same life I have. I won't treat my kid poorly. He's only 6 months old. I didn't beat my kid, starve him, lock him in a barn for three days in August in a Missouri summer, leave him at a fair to walk 3 miles home, or treat him like **** like my alcoholic father did (among many other terrible things) when I was six years old. I realize sobriety is 15 years ahead of my father, and know that kids are our future.. A chemical dependency in my brain will be changing in the next three days. I will be getting off of you. I will be getting medications that will make you nonexistent. They can replicate you with 30 year old technology. The simple GABA a receptors you inhibit to induce glutamate production is nothing more than a simple reward in the brain. This makes you a tiny creature with no power. Something that watching a good TV show or a cup of coffee in the morning will induce the same effect. You are a chemical. Nothing more. You are no magical being that offers me the safety and lack of anxiety. You are a fermented liquid. You sit in a barrel for a few years. I've sat in a barrel for about 5 years now, and the wood is getting thin. I can see light. My dehydrated body can break through you. I lack vitamins and I lack proper nutrition sure, but what do you have? Nothing. You are a chemical. Like Pine Sol. You are nothing more than a logical chain reaction that occurs when things rot. I do not want rotten things inside me anymore, and after I get on the cheap, inexpensive cure for your madness, I will be laughing at you.
So it's been a good run for you... You took about five years from me, and 4 months from my son, but it's time for you to go. I must swap a fermented beverage for my family. This seems like such a small statement. It's like swapping out soda for water on the surface, but you have an imprint that is far more superior. You enable rewarding. That's why this time, I will be exercising to make me higher than you will ever take me. Watch and see Mr. Ethanol, tomorrow you die forever. You have no more control over me. You are six feet under rotting like you always have been, but the difference is, I do not have a key to get to you. I melted it into a symbol of what you have done to me. It's the symbol of perseverance. This is the only thing you have given me. So let's say good night, and end the gifts at that.
So with a resounding goodbye, I bid you farewell, and ask that you leave me alone for the rest of my life.
Sincerely,
You know, me.

that's it. I hope it helped someone.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can't believe I wrote that and never found it until today. It really makes alcohol seem more realistic in my opinion.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Thanks for sharing that JIJQ.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good stuff, jjq! Your family is lucky you have the strength to put them and yourself first now. Alcohol doesn't deserve a place at the table. I'm so sad for the little boy that you were and what you went through. Thanks for sharing!