Notices

How to Deal With Emotional Triggers

Old 04-15-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

The same thing just happened to me. It SUCKS and part of me got angry because it seems he was trying to make me jealous. I had to break off contact completely and have found my own little crush. That always helps . The pain won't last, especially since you are handling it in a healthy way. Keep it up!
Old 04-15-2014, 10:17 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I can get on the same thing happened to me bandwagon. I won't go into the why's and wherefore's as I have already elsewhere on the board.

The last 4-6 months of my relationship I really didn't know my SO anymore. She wasn't the same person she had been the previous 4 years.

What I have to keep in mind every time I wax nostalgic is that the last 4-6 months of the relationship were toxic for ME. What had changed her had her rejecting me emotionally and my dumb rear end would end up drunk.

So I ended up drunk, and she ended up justified in her accusations. It's been less than a month for me. but I wouldn't go back. I can't stay sober and be around someone that can jerk my strings emotionally.

I use that line of logic every time I think about taking a drink. It's worked for me.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Yeah... I messed up a lot with her due to my drinking. I trust in God having a plan, and being on a path of sobriety as part of mine, but it still hurts in this moment. I just keep telling myself to turn into the best person possible, for me, and good things will follow. Thats all I can do at this point. Drinking makes me pathetic and would confirm that moving on was the best for her. The only part about this that scares me is in finding someone new. I am probably going to be alone for a while and that is somewhat depressing.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

The "somebody new" you find could be yourself, sticking to your program.

The finding a new SO is just added stress at a stressful time, and hunting them/forcing the issue, in my experience, ALWAYS backfires. We all want to retrieve our comfort zone and get set back up playing house.

Focus on your recovery and odds are the other will come, sooner or later. LOL, it better work. It's what I keep teling myself.