Notices

Long time lurker, first time poster

Old 04-13-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Long time lurker, first time poster

.. I've been browsing several alcohol forums for a while, but never wanted to post because 1) I was drinking at the time, or 2) I was completely hungover.

Well, as of today I have 5 days of sobriety under my belt, the longest stretch in over 7 years.

Two of them really don't count, because, well I was in the hospital in detox. I caved in and decided I didn't want to endure the terrible withdrawal symptoms I had tried to before, and I wanted to stop.. now. Plus I had been drinking almost 1 1/2 pints of vodka, every day, for the past 3 weeks. See, I discovered that instead of coffee in my car mug, I could pour a 1/2 pint of vodka to stave off the withdrawal symptoms and make it into work. It was the worst binge I ever was on. So I called mom (a recovering alcoholic herself, 27 years sober) and she drove me to the hospital.

I've been an alcoholic for a better part of 10 years, with the exception of a 6 week sobriety stint I had when I went to an outpatient program in 2007. Unfortunately, the day the program ended, I celebrated by buying a 6-pack and 1/2 pint on the way home...

So here I am, humbled and scared sh*tless. I'm not sure what my next steps are, but I figure posting here and getting whatever support I can (and whatever advice I can give) is a good start.

I'm not sure what my work is going to say tomorrow, and I missed 3 days and all I've said was "I was in the hospital". So I'm scared about that. I'm not sure if I'm going to try another outpatient program, or just start going to AA, or both. I'm not sure what all my close friends are going to say when I turn down there offer for a beer. So much to worry about, but I know for today, I am sober and will stay that way. I will worry about tomorrow when I wake up with a clear, sober mind (although a worried mind).

Anyways, sorry to babble, but that's my story in a nutshell (oooh I have many other stories I could tell about my drunken adventures, but I'll save those for when necessary). thanks for listening.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You've done a good and brave thing.

Congratulations.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on five days sober. That's a good start to a better way of living. You've come to a very friendly supportive site. I hope we can help you stay sober for good.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Count all your days!!!
Congrats on having the courage to ask for help. It's so hard.

It's amazing how people rise to the request when you admit what's been going on and ask for help. I'm not saying everyone needs to know all the details.

I've also found the friends who have discomfort with my sobriety think I'm somehow judging them for drinking. That speaks more about them than it does about me. I keep remembering that.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and I'm glad you're ready to change your life.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, well done on 5 days xx
Old 04-13-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Karl

D
Old 04-13-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Karl and welcome. Five days is great and you need to do everything possible to build on it. It is hard in the early stages and you will need a lot of support. SR provides a great support network that you can always access. AA and outpatient may also be what you need at this time. Just get as much support as possible and let things sort themselves out as they will, whether you worry or not. Sobriety is your first priority, guard it selfishly.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I second tiptree, make this your priority 1.

Welcome to SR !
Old 04-13-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats on five days sober! It takes a lot to voluntarily get help, so I commend you for that. You will find lots of support and open arms here
Old 04-13-2014, 09:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glad you're here ,

lot of support around here
Old 04-13-2014, 09:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Congrats on a wk bein sober! At first we don't think it's possible but after simply following some suggestions, it gets a little easier each day