Notices

What I Have Learned About Myself, My AV

Old 04-13-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What I Have Learned About Myself, My AV

What I Have Learned about Myself, My AV

As many of you know, I am an 86 year old with a history of 40 years of episodic drinking and over 25 years of sobriety after that. Recently I had a “Non Invasive” (Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement) followed by installation of a pacemaker. The surgical installation of the hardware was superb and all systems are functioning. Unfortunately I have had some post operative complications largely dealing with bladder infection, with episodes of extreme pain. This has largely been brought under control. I have been in one hospital and the emergency room of another and am now in a post operative rehab.
During all of this I have had no craving to drink. It has not even come to my mind. Yet the stress of these events, and the challenges of having to accomodate myself to differing environments and submit to their control (“higher powers” indeed!) has kept my AV busy, a child within crying loudly “I don’t like this! I’m used to what I had before I entered the hospital! I want it all back! I want to do it my way and I want it right now!”
Believe me, I hear this voice and it is powerful and loud. I have been told that it lives in the more primitive areas of the brain. It is a particular danger for alcoholics and other addicts but it is there for everyone. It has its uses but in times of stress it is an unruly beast. Somehow that beast must be controlled and the stress makes this hard because of the numbing of the more rational parts of the brain due to anesthesia, medications and other things.
Well, the gist of this is “Look within yourself!” See the “child within”. Be wary of it. It has been your friend at times, your enemy when you drink and use, and in times of stress, you may very well hear its voice. Look within! A large part of the solution, quitting drinking or dealing with stress, indeed the path to true wisdom, may lie within. As the Greeks said so long ago, “Know thyself!”

W.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you for the inspiring post. Much to learn I still have.

Your wisdom and courage have made my day and will help greatly.

God bless you
Old 04-13-2014, 08:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hello dear W. I agree with ThePatman. Another helpful, wise, encouraging post.

I'm so sorry you've had to go through all that. I'm glad the pain has become manageable. Hoping for many enjoyable days in your future.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm glad to see you're on the mend! Hopefully you'll be good as new before you know it. It' awesome to see how well sobriety has "sunk in" in your case.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

P.S. Times of Stress- One AV Talks to Another AV

As I have recently posted, I am in a cardiac rehab recovering from an aortic valve replacement operation. I have had some pain from physical aftereffects as well as trouble accomodating to the temporary surrender of personal control to hospital and rehab protocols. This has upset my AV and, on some occasions, has resulted in confrontations with staff members. The latter, intent on following their protocols, have at times displayed irrational anger. I suspect that this may be in part due to their AV’s. If so, this suggests the possibility of two AV’s confronting with one another. Indeed, perhaps at times the two AV’s may seek to conspire with each other to achieve their own ends. What to do? Why not try to reinforce and increase the power of the more rational areas of the brain residing in the cerebral cortex, a physiological version of a “higher power” within the brain?

W.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi W. I do hope your Higher Power intervenes with some internal pain relief. In my case I feel the rehab is far more painful than the procedure.
If you not familiar with AA speaker "tapes" you can save, I can direct you to a couple sites, just PM me.

BE WELL
Old 04-14-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IOAA2 View Post
Hi W. I do hope your Higher Power intervenes with some internal pain relief. In my case I feel the rehab is far more painful than the procedure.
If you not familiar with AA speaker "tapes" you can save, I can direct you to a couple sites, just PM me.

BE WELL
Actually I've got several "higher powers". One's the dog. Another (sometimes) is my wife (a bit controversial that! Co Dependency?), Another is a mysterious 'Something" or "Someone" in an alternate spiritual reality. Some call that "God". Some call that by other names (e.g. The Tao Te Ching: "The Tao cannot be named, cannot be written.")
Old 04-14-2014, 05:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wpainter , hope you heal quickly and well! I'll let you know when I get to that exciting 25 years of sobriety that you have! Thank You for giving me that inspiration , as I also beat the hell out of myself with 40 some years of drinking at 58 y.o. Someone or Something will no doubt get you back on your feet ! Stay Strong and Well ! Bobby