Notices

sobriety and emotions

Old 04-12-2014, 10:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

sobriety and emotions

the past year or so ive been a fairly heavy drinker. in the past month ive drank maybe three times, so far i'm 5 days sober and very happy about that. I didn't realize how much alcohol really is an escape from your emotions; I feel like since I stopped Ive felt lonelier, felt guilty more about past decisions, and generally just down. Its tough to deal with without alcohol.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey Joey ,
Early recovery is a bit of an emotional roller coaster but i've found it calms down the further you get from your last drink , it's natural to feel feelings and to act on them by changing things in our lives .
Rather than my old pattern of feeling something and then smothering it out in my head by using alcohol .

I've learned a few new ways of dealing with things and my life is better because i deal with these things rather than not dealing with them by hiding in a bottle .

stay strong , m
Old 04-13-2014, 02:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Well done, It will get better. We all have off days anyway xxxxx
Old 04-13-2014, 02:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

All the emotions I had been hiding from when I drank were waiting for me when I quit. It is tough, they are raw and it can be hard to deal with at times. I had loneliness but anger was my number one feeling.

It can be a roller coaster ride at times but hang in there. Allow your emotions to rise and fall without holding on to them.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's tough for sure Joey but don't confuse this for the way it will always be - 5 days is great but it's still very early in.

Things do get better

D