Notices

AA meetings are triggering me?

Old 04-11-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Never had this issue at a meeting. My cravings come when I'm alone.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrG View Post
guess I'm just nervous about finally being honest with myself, which may be why it triggers me actually.
I can TOTALLY relate to that! I've been every kind of drinker...social...moderate/one beer at night...total alcoholic drinking ALL day...BINGE drinker with horrid black out/blurred vision nights with totally regrettable happenings that still haunt me...to just drinking once or twice a week...i've been there done that when it comes to booze lol But this is the first time I've ever decided to totally give it up...I finally got honest with myself. I'm finding with each day, I'm becoming more and more painfully honest with myself about it....what you said made me realize it's been a serious trigger for me in the past...
keep up the good work! you'll find your place in AA i'm sure. new things are always uncomfortable
Old 04-11-2014, 09:34 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I found meetings completely triggering and I was told to pray which did not help much.

Talking to people who care about you about what you are going through can really help at a time like this. That is what worked for me.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:22 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I remember going in young and had the same thing. Part of me wanted to get the hell out of there and have a drink.

The easiest way to explain this is that there is a big part of you (this won't be the part that wants to stop drinking) that doesn't want to be sitting in a place where there are people with 20+ years of sobriety talking about how simple it is do work the AA steps and completely recover from alcoholism meaning that you will never want to have a drink ever again! This part is scrambling to stay alive! This part will happily go along with your latest plan to try and stay sober by yourself or use the latest fad technique but the last place it wants you sitting a listening is in a AA meeting.

This part will try and get you to focus on the people in AA who are in very early days or have some years of abstinence but are hanging into it like you are at the moment thus seeing AA as a group of people desperately and miserably trying to control their drinking, which isn't true.

In my life I have had many windows of opportunity where the drinking got do painful that I looked around for a bit, they font last long because the part if you trying to keep you drinking is very cunning. You would be wise to get a sponsor ASAP and share what you gave shared here with them.

Remember you are an expert in self denial and manipulation, try and be aware that at the moment you cannot trust your own thoughts but if you stick it out rill become your most valuable asset.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:41 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I can relate. I went to AA years ago and found the stories about people drinking ,what they did, when they drank some almost romanticising it, very triggering. Plus I was nervous, shy, embarrassed and just wanted a drink

If you enjoy them meetings and get something out of them then I would stick at it. If it is too much and you aren't getting anythng out of them then try something different.