Notices

Another first time AA meeting thread :)

Old 04-11-2014, 01:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another first time AA meeting thread :)

Hi everyone,

I plan to go to my first meeting this weekend or early next week. I've found several "beginners meetings" in my neighborhood and will pick one of these as a start. I know that there have been plenty of discussions on first time meetings, both what to expect and how the experience was for others, but I don't recall reading suggestions or opinions on what might be the best way to approach it, how to behave, if there is anything specifically good to do or not to do at your first meeting? If there is any consensus at all, which I suspect there isn't...

I'm approaching 3 months of sobriety and have a very open mind for trying almost anything for recovery and self improvement. I don't really feel much anxiety about going to AA at this point (had some, but I think I've neutralized it quite well by thinking through it and suggestions from a few specific people also helped). I feel much more a sort of excited curiosity. I did not think I would likely try AA in the beginning but am changing my mind for a variety of reasons... One is that there seem to be quite a few people with great attitude and wisdom here on SR who are in AA, so I'm guessing there must be something about it...? Another main reason is that I really would like to find people in the 3D world to discuss addiction and recovery with, make new friends this way, potentially. The motivation to hopefully help others via sharing experiences and knowledge is also a big one. And I've come to appreciate various aspects of the 12-step program because I see the positive manifestation of that work in some people's attitude here on SR... Things like these.

Is there anything you guys could suggest to me for a start? Should I just go and listen first, should I interact more, should I stay after the meeting to talk with others in a more causal way? Or take all this according to how I feel in the moment?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-11-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Do what feels most comfortable: if you are outgoing, show up early, share, and stay late; if you're shy, it's okay to remain quiet.

But you should go as soon as possible.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There is no right and wrong in AA meetings. Granted I've only been to 45 of them in the last month, but you can act any way you'd like to act. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. That's it. You'll see, it is pretty structured and you'll be fine.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My meeting asked if anyone was new. You can just introduce yourself. They also give newcomers a chance to speak if they would like. Good luck!
Old 04-11-2014, 01:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope it goes well.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
My brain is trying to kill me

First, it's really not that big a deal; especially if you think of it as something you may do quite often for several weeks/months/years/life! Sure, three years ago I went to my first meetings, and I remember the anxiety; very soon however I knew I was right at home. If I was NEVER going to be an addict again I needed to be around people who were like me, and that's what I found; a welcoming, warm embrace of friendship and fellowship. I now experience that in ALL the rooms of AA, whether I am home, in another state, or another country.

I also realized that although there might be other options to embrace sobriety; they weren't and would never be what AA is. I'm allowed to be myself, take what I need and leave the rest, embrace a power greater than myself REGARDLESS of what that was, and just be with others who share one major thing-a desire to no longer be an addict- and after that, if we had other things that created a bond, fine-or not.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You do what you are comfortable with. If you want to just listen, then do so. I think that is is a good thing to do the first couple meetings so you can get the feel for how the meetings are run.

Introduce yourself though if you feel comfortable with that and it sounds like you would be. You don't have to get all into it all, just say Hi and shake hands. They may ask if there are newcomers and if you feel comfortable state your name so they can welcome you.

If I know people are new then I make an effort to say hi after and exchange numbers with them.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks a lot for the responses! So yes, it sounds like the best approach is to do what one feels comfortable with in the moment - this already sounds wonderful because I think in a lot of areas of everyday life it's not how it works, although I'm up to changing that perception as well...

I think I'm a pretty outgoing and easy to interact with kind of person when I don't feel very anxious. But anxiety can be quite unpredictable, so I won't make firm plans for how to handle my first AA meeting. I'm also usually quite strongly affected by and responsive to my environment and how people act around me, so I guess it's best to leave most of it to the situation and not overthink in advance.

Thanks guys! Sounds very encouraging so far
Old 04-11-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes Haennie

D
Old 04-11-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have another specific question regarding AA culture. I've read that sometimes people prefer groups based on gender... and that it's usually preferable to establish sponsor-sponsee relationships within same sex. How strict is this, in general? I mean of course I am not thinking of or expecting finding a sponsor in my first few meetings... but I know that my orientations towards gender roles tend to be a little off-chart as far the most common views go. I think this kind of view is influenced by my being bisexual, and I don't want that to interfere with getting the best out of a support group experience, like AA.

If I were to be really transparent and honest, I must confess that in my whole life my most significant friendships have been with males (I'm female). I don't have any "a priori" preference. It's just how my life experience has been... And I don't want this to get in the way of my experience with AA. Don't want to do anything inappropriate either.

Any thoughts in this direction from those in AA?
Old 04-11-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
I guess it's best to leave most of it to the situation and not over think in advance.
This is a key to a lot of things!

Keep it light, no expectations for yourself or others and you will be just fine
Old 04-11-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I see you are in NY, try this one: unless it has changed it was an awesome speaker meetings and the people were very nice. Lots of ladies with good sobriety there.
It' a fairly big meeting though but friendly enough that you won't get lost in the crowd. Oh and they have some real good cookies

St. Francis of Assisi Center

NU GARDEN - Nu Garden
139 West 31st Street, 3rd Floor,
(Betw 6th & 7th Avenues) NY 10001

All meetings are non-smoking.
Sundays From 6:00 PM to 7:30 PM
Meeting Type S = Step meeting

Thursdays From 6:00 PM to 7:30 PM
Meeting Type OD = Open Discussion meeting

Saturdays From 6:00 PM to 7:30 PM
Meeting Type OD = Open Discussion meeting
Old 04-11-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
Oh and they have some real good cookies
This is not a requirement for an AA meeting, but it REALLY helps...lol

I make cookies or brownies for my HG and they always tell me they are so good. I tell them it is my evil plan to keep them coming back
Old 04-11-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

As far as the sponsor thing, just go and if you meet someone you trust, talk to them about it. AA, as Life, is what you make of it.

I know there are also some specific meetings for LGBT - a friend of mine attends one of those twice a week and "regular" meetings other times. I would think the gender roles are naturally relaxed a lot more in those types of meetings.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

How did the meeting go?

There was a thread on this in the 12 step support forum - specifically related to LGBT issues and sponsors. Lot's of QNA there.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've never gone to an AA meeting so I have no advice to offer, but I am very much looking forward to hearing about your experience. Please come back and share your impressions!
Old 04-12-2014, 06:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sitting and listening for a few is good but you can also share if you are comfortable. When I go to a step or big book meeting and I haven't worked that step I say that I haven't worked it. One woman I know will say "I haven't worked this step but this is what the reading means to me now" and always has something insightful. It all depends on how comfortable you are. I have said and have heard plenty of times "today I'm just going to listen."

As for the sponsorship find someone you trust first. Gender choice of sponsor seems to be pretty much set but I do know one woman who has a man as a sponsor. In my opinion the suggestion to have a sponsor of your own gender came about to protect people from getting involved in unequal relationships or being taken advantage of at a time of vulnerability. Plus sponsors and sponsees spend a lot of time together. If one of the people in that relationship is married or involved with someone it could be threatening to the partner. There is a term "thirteen stepping" used to describe people who swoop in on newcomers and hit on them under the guise of lending support.

You can also find LGBT meetings too. Try all sorts of meetings. I do know that if it is a women's meeting or a men's meeting people are strict on sticking to that. Good luck and just be yourself. Let us know how it goes.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am also in NY and at the beginners meetings I have been to ask at the start if anyone is new, visiting or counting days. They also hand out chips for each month under 1 year. I just started AA two weeks ago, but I raise my hand and say "Hi- I'm 'KimsFriend' and I have 21 days".
If it's my first time at that meeting a booklet of meeting times is passed around and the women sign their names and phone numbers (it is suggested that I reach out and call 3 alcoholics a day).
Usually they will announce that if you are need for a temporary sponsor to come up after the meeting. I did not have to do this as I was surrounded by welcomers at the end of each meeting and someone came right out and asked me if I would like a temp sponsor. I had her for a few days until I found my permanent sponsor.
I asked my permanent sponsor based on how comfortable I felt in talking to her. She was so filled with peace that it filled me with hope. I look forward to Talking to her everyday.

Not every meeting is created equal in my experience. There have been a couple that I just couldn't get into. But that did not stop me from seeking out more.
I go every day. Sometimes twice. AA has been a very positive influence on my sobriety and on my life. Even in these two short weeks. I have felt a calmness that I haven't felt in over 20 years.

Good luck!!
Old 04-12-2014, 07:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks a lot again for the responses, all very good information! I'll definitely share my impressions here.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm just done with my first meeting... My gosh... impression overload! I want to process some of it in my head before I can make a coherent enough report (for my taste).

It was a positive and interesting experience, and I think I will continue exploring, but need some processing time to be able to summarize the first impressions for you guys