Notices

People that want you to drink..

Old 04-12-2014, 06:59 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
~sb

the FIRST one is my killer
Old 04-12-2014, 07:07 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Stay away from them if you cannot handle people drinking around you. If you have to, get a glass of coke, and just say I'm fine. Carry it all the time, don't drink it all, no-one will offer you another drink (should not).
If you can handle it, just be careful. I have friends that have stopped, but my SD and son in law come round here and get pissed, leaving bottle all over the shop.
At least, if W walks, that will stop I suppose
Old 04-12-2014, 07:27 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'd have a heart to heart with him. Get it all out in the open. You don't need to spill all the gory details but just tell him that you're at the stage where alcohol doesn't do you any good.

I wasn't able to even see that many friends when I was drinking. My social circle dwindled to a mere few who had their own problems with alcohol. I was too ashamed of myself to see most people but now I'm sober my social life is so much better because I'm actually doing well in my life and have more confidence in sobriety and that shines through.

Once your friend sees you're happier without alcohol he'll start to lay off on those questions. The only reason these people want u to drink is so they can feel more comfortable drinking. It's probably uncomfortable for them to sit there with a beer while you're having a soft drink and that's perfectly reasonable. You just need to make him feel with comfortable with whatever he decides to do and I'm sure the favour will be reciprocated.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
No quitting on yer quit eh!

Most of my friends are drinkers, some are hardcore like I was.... I don't think I will ever stop associating with them, I will leave that decision to them. I am definitely minimizing my interaction with them in my early stages of recovery and most of them know that I quit drinking. What I really hope is that by setting a good example, some of them might realize that you can have fun without a drink in your hand....
Old 04-12-2014, 01:03 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Good friends don't say that. In my experience, people who says those types of things to you also have their own drinking problem. Misery loves company. I just went through this with an old friend of mine from Florida. I knew I was going down there to visit for a few days and that I'd run into her. I brought up my concern at my AA meeting and several members gave me great advice of how to handle it. The advice worked! I made sure to be firm but confident in my sobriety and tell her before I even got down there that I had a problem for years and that I was clean and sober and grateful. She never said a word to me about it and the visit with my other friends was great. I have also transitioned our relationship and do not consider her a friend anymore, she is more of a friendly acquaintance. It's just one of those things you have to do if your sobriety is important enough to you.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I have drinking friends but they would kill me if they saw me drinking. Friends who want you to drink aren't
Old 04-12-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If someone questions my not drinking I just ask them why it bothers them that I'm not drinking. Makes them look at themselves...
Old 04-12-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
How do you handle them? Just relapsed, and of course it was my fault, but my good friend often says things like 'you have done really well, one won't hurt', or 'you haven't got a problem, I don't think you have, or, when I did drink last week ' it's good to see you letting your hair down'. Other times he has said am good company sober, so it's not all negative. And I know I am better sober. How do you handle these kinds of comments...it can feed into that addictive voice that taps at my head from time to time.
I have said that I don't drink anymore because I felt the tail was starting to wag the dog. Most people accept that, they do not need to know the details. I do have an old drinking buddy that couldn't accept my sobriety, I haven't seen him since I quit drinking.

The choice to not drink is yours, the issue about it is theirs. Don't let their hangups override your choice.