Notices

Sober Weekend April11/12/13 - Weasel's Weekend Off!

Old 04-12-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Dancing diva .... That's is what I used to do! Keep going.... Don't give in! And you will be better! Congrats on staring it down,
Old 04-12-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

hey dancing diva don't let that red on the calendar stop you from noticing the green (come on you greens)
I'm in for a sober saturday .

m
Old 04-12-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Always gets a bit quiet on a Saturday afternoon.... Hope everyone is treating themselves right!

K
Old 04-12-2014, 12:43 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

well weasle, I just got back from picking up kayak permits, it is so nice outside - I was thinking of a beer all the way home. saw two boats paddling down the river too. nice day for a couple to go out and slow paddle the waters. Looked a kit to mount a transducer - fish finder on my hobie. Looked at a few other extras. Had to remind myself that I need to keep making house payments before I spend on accessories I can live without.
Masters is on!
Old 04-12-2014, 01:23 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey LBrain ,
good on you for not responding to the call .. The further you get from the last drink the quieter it gets in my experience .
Old 04-12-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I'm sitting on my patio and the weather is absolutely perfect. I have not been doing great with sobriety, but this morning I swore "no more". No more testing my drinking boundaries -- no more pretending I can settle for just a glass or two of wine and be satisfied or just drinking on Friday and Saturday nights. The truth is I feel like CRAP afterwards and it's because I am poisoning my body with alcohol and it is no way to live. So I am back on the weekend thread , committing to being sober.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Seeing Emmylou Harris tonight. She's performing her Wrecking Ball album in a special event. The album was released 19 years ago (!!!). Saw her perform it back then at the Beacon, and have loved that album ever since. Had several glasses of wine before the concert and I remember the nagging worry in the back of my mind that my husband wouldn't agree to drinks afterwards since it was a week night (and I didn't have any wine at home! ). Tonight is a second chance to really enjoy the music, I will have none of those worries or distractions , just sober me present in the moment. And the weather is beautiful too. How great is that! Happy sober weekend SR.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I am glad and sorry I am not the only one thinking "gee, a beer sounds good right now." I'm not alone!! Weather changed and now it is hot and windy here. And my mother in law just walked in the back door. Hmmm. Cause and effect? MIL a trigger too. She is unfortunately the type of person who annoys almost everyone, drunk or sober. My brother worked with her before I ever met my husband. His comment was "oh" followed by a long pause.

She is going to her nieces bridal shower tomorrow and is planning on getting wasted there. I can already tell. She got hammered at my brother's birthday party last weekend. I wrote about that pArty on here. My brother isn't happy with her because she asked my 13 year old niece to open her liquor. I didn't realize she was drinking at the party because she wandered off and i have no sense of smell. I think I will go have a fizzy water and a cigarette. Which is why I have no sense of smell. Her drinking has nothing to do with me. Maybe I just resent that she is still drinking and I can't. I will focus on what I gain in not drinking.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I am working today, however, it is a short shift today 4:30 - 11.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

I am sorry for your friend, Weasel.

Super shiny here in the Pacific Northwest. Just back from the garden, planted peas and walla walla sweets and broccoli and cauliflower.
Off to the nursery for some foliage and flowers for the pots at my front door.

I hope everyone is doing well!!
Old 04-12-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Just had the first burger on the grill for the season. It was a beautiful warm and sunny day; spent time outside and began cleaning deck off. Took the dog for a few long walks and smiled as he rolled around in the grass. Watching the Masters and then perhaps reading new book on Kindle. I'm laughing at myself as I sit here in my recliner at 6:30 on a Saturday night thinking about how tired I am. Like that would have mattered before as I dragged myself from bar to bar. Glad I'm learning how to listen to my body. Keep sober strong weekenders....we got this!
Old 04-12-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Off to my first party since quitting. Its not the kind of party I am used to going to (not really been to any lately, come to think of it), but not dreading it near as much as I would have in the bad old days. Hopefully there will be enough activities so I don't have to sit and chit chat with strangers with booze on their breath! Wish me luck!
Old 04-12-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Saturday Night's Alright...

Going out to Dinner tonight with another Couple. My Wife worked with the Gal part thereof for Decades in a Cowtown School District. Another Teacher's Son is in this KickAzz Band we're going to see. They play all Funk and '60s - '70s - '80s Covers. REALLY good Musicians; something this aging p/t Bass Player really appreciates. I even get out and cavort around my considerable Caucasian Carcass when they cover 'Brick House'.

I'm kewl with all this after >90 days Sober yesterday because this other Couple are very light Drinkers. Da Wife has been known to toke on 2 Martinis over the course of the Evening, but that gets her only goofy instead of hammered. I'm fine with that. Last time at this same place, 2 Martinis finally lubricated 'my' Recovering Catholic Girl sufficiently to disclose her - um - rather 'active' Sexual History. We're still laughing about some of that. I'll feel better tomorrow than she will when I do my usual thing and rise with the proverbial Chickens. She's being supportive to the limited degree that she understands why I've gone full-on Sober [as she requested very occasionally over the years].

There tends to be an older Crowd at this Venue and I see plenty of Folks knocking back Alcohol-free Drinks. I've become a Lemonade Guy, and am also getting into a few types of 'Mocktails'. Having ready solutions like this mentally pre-programmed makes Alcohol during Socializing a minor issue for me. If the opposite of 'White Knuckling' Sobriety is 'Pink Knuckling' it, then I guess that's what I'm doing. No major 'Jones' to drink these days, mercifully. I mention this only in the hope of helping some others imagine that - yes, Virginia - there really is a fun Life Beyond Drinking.

My Addictive -> Perfectionist Personality means that, when I used to hit it, I hit it HARD. I could 'nose' a Single Malt Scotch and pretty much name the Region and, often, the Distillery. Now, that's all sort of working to my advantage. I really do feel like I hit it SO hard, I got it out of my System. Nothing left to try vis-a-vis Drinking; nothing left to pine for in terms of Drinking more. As I do with about everything else, when I bottomed out, I did 'my way'. Now, I've moved on to 'hitting' Sobriety hard.

None other than Charlie Sheen recycled the old line when he said: 'I had 40 years of Drinking in me. But, I used them up in 20'. So true for me [just double those respective numbers, however].

Failure is not an option.

Best Cosmic Vibes to all tonight on this wonderfully-helpful Site; my Program.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Well the Masters is certainly heating up!! . . . the Irish/UK players are pretty much out of it, Bubba held on to a joint lead going into the final day tomorrow, despite playing a shocking round of golf today!!

Hope everyone is having a great Saturday!! let's keep pushing through Sober Weekenders!!
Old 04-12-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by purpleknight View Post
Well the Masters is certainly heating up!! . . . the Irish/UK players are pretty much out of it, Bubba held on to a joint lead going into the final day tomorrow, despite playing a shocking round of golf today!!

Hope everyone is having a great Saturday!! let's keep pushing through Sober Weekenders!!
Wife heard me yelling at TV. She came in said, Why are you yelling at golf? Because the FLYERS were on too. Gave up a last minute goal to Pittssssburg to tie it. Ended scoring in OT. Heading to NY Weds to face the rangers.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:50 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
Wife heard me yelling at TV. She came in said, Why are you yelling at golf? Because the FLYERS were on too. Gave up a last minute goal to Pittssssburg to tie it. Ended scoring in OT. Heading to NY Weds to face the rangers.
Haha . . . nice one!! . . . come tomorrow evening we'll have the full playoff picture!!
Old 04-12-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Man, I am dead tired. Put in a full day working outside and then the Missus dragged me to home and garden show. Lots of walking. Off to bed soon, but wanted to check in here first.

Looks like lots of quality sober living going on this weekend.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Enjoyable thread, sounds like everyone's doing well.

Had a nice experience this afternoon, I arranged to rent a car through a car-sharing service and got to spend some time with a local resident. I drove with him about 30 miles, braved the harrowing California freeways. He gave me tips and it was a pleasant way to spend the afternoon. Drove all the way back to my city apartment myself and managed to find my way home - pretty damn proud of myself LOL! Small victories, I guess.

Went to the grocery store and will make a nice dinner here and go to bed early. I'm going to hit the ocean tomorrow at sunrise, can't wait.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hey bigS. Just so you know. East coast is where you go to beach for sunrise.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:54 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Went to an open speaker meeting tonight. Attendance at any meeting this past week has been sparse. Don't know if it the weather or what.

Not much cooking this weekend. What's up with that? I have to go grocery shopping tomorrow. Busy day. Celebrating my dad's 70th tomorrow. Church, baseball practice, shopping, cooking. Husband starts new job on Monday. Kids on spring break. Not enough time to get it all done so I will just let it go. Dad only turns 70 once. And since he has been ill who knows?

Scavenged a bike for my son a while back. Bought new tires for it and my neighbor spiffed it up. So happy with it and my son will hopefully now agree to learn to ride a bike. He is going to be nine and doesn't know how. Didn't want to. He has voiced an interest. Fingers crossed.