Notices

Ready to get sober

Old 04-11-2014, 02:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ready to get sober

Hi everybody,

Im going to attempt to tell you about my problem with alcohol and where I am at now in hopes that some of you will relate with me, give suggestions, or even just simply show your support.

I am 22 now an have been drinking heavily on very regular basis (not daily but almost) since I was 19 years old, and it seemed like it gradually got worse over time. It was always a social thing for me (or so I thought) but I eventually got to the point where I just preferred drinking by myself. This is one of many attempts to quit, which always lead to a relapse of me going on a serious bender. As of the last few months I have been drinking on my days off of work ( I work a very random 3rd shift schedule) and this always turns into me getting blackout drunk and regretting it the next day. After I got out of work Tuesday morning I began one of my worst binges ever that went on early into the next morning and lead to me having withdrawals the next day worse than I have ever had before, something I never want to experience ever again. I didnt go to work last night because I couldn't sleep all day and was dealing with serious anxiety, if I miss one more day I will lose my job.

I am now at the point where I am extremely concerned for my health and ability to function if I don't remove alcohol from my life. Although I have failed to get sober before, something feels different this time and I have a sense of confidence.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome!!

Well here's the good news; you're noticing and acknowledging the problem almost 20 years earlier than I did.

I can tell you that from my experience - it only got worse. Being a stubborn bugger and thinking myself "high functioning" and pretty smart and able to point to lots of positives in my life, I managed to spend a couple decades worth of problems continuing the delusion.

What you've just described in your post is the journey of an alcoholic. What you'll find here is that people understand, that we've been there, that we want you to be happy and well and that - from what we've learned - you can do that choosing sobriety as your path.

I strongly recommend getting yourself some face to face support also. AA has been a great tool for me.

You don't have to keep riding this train to darker and darker places.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi JasonnB, welcome to SR
I second what FreeOwl said. This is a great place to get support.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Same as free owl you are 20 years ahead compared to me.

You can void so much health complications, the relationship problems, the money, my god the money I put into this addiction is ridiculous.

My house would be paid, I would be living the dream!

Let go of this for good, you don't need it to live a normal life, I used to think It was the thing, got me to socialize. Now 20 years later I don't even know how to live normally without the liquid courage.

Happy for you my wise young friend ;-)
Old 04-11-2014, 02:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome xxx
Old 04-11-2014, 02:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for your support everyone! I'm really glad I found this forum it just makes me happy to communicate with people that know what I am going through.

I feel really nervous about going to AA for the first time but definitely want to get into a meeting to see what it's like and if it would be a good tool for me as well.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Use all the tools you need at your disposal. There is also SMART recovery, AVRT etc.

Build your support arsenal, fight this on your terms, and win this "war"

Go go go!
Old 04-11-2014, 03:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JasonnB View Post
Thanks for your support everyone! I'm really glad I found this forum it just makes me happy to communicate with people that know what I am going through.

I feel really nervous about going to AA for the first time but definitely want to get into a meeting to see what it's like and if it would be a good tool for me as well.
totally natural to be a little anxious.

go check it out with an open mind and take what you can from it.

AA is just one of the tools and approaches. I don't align with everything in AA, but I use it as an important part of my sobriety journey.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Stand and Be True

Welcome, Jason. Your story is quite similar to mine. I got sober last year at 23. I particularly relate to this -

Originally Posted by JasonnB View Post
Although I have failed to get sober before, something feels different this time and I have a sense of confidence.
When I seriously attempted to quit drinking, something just "clicked" and gave me the confidence to do it. Here I am five and a half months later and haven't touched a drop. Far longer than any previous attempts to quit.

Not that it's easy. There are bad days and struggles and I still have moments when all I want to do is drink, but this place is fantastic for learning about strategies to cope with cravings/bad thoughts etc. I don't go to meetings myself but it obviously works for a lot of people so it'd be wise to go along and see how you feel there.

Don't hesitate to send a PM if you ever want/need to talk