Notices

A plug for running...

Old 04-08-2014, 07:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A plug for running...

I started out Day 101 with a five mile run. Sunrise. Birdsong. Fresh air.

There is really no better way to start out. It charges you up with endorphins, releases stress, guards against anxiety, sets your mind on "healthfulness" and generally supports sobriety while keeping you fit and improving your mind, body and spiritual centered-ness.

I had a tough time rallying to just get out the door. That's always the hardest part. By the time I hit a mile in though I was in stride and by the time I was having my first cup of coffee with friends at the coffee shop I'd burned almost 800 calories to start the day and was infused with a sense of joy and well-being.

If you're looking for a change in your routine that is an incredibly powerful tool in your sobriety arsenal - TRY RUNNING.

And by "try running" I don't mean try it once... give it some time. Commit to run 2-3x per week for a month to start, then up it to 3-4x per week for the second month and in the third month aim to increase your distance.

Give it 90 days.... and don't use 'I don't have time / energy / whatever' as an excuse. Plenty of time if you're not drinking. Think of all the time you spent pouring poison down your gullet!!! Energy? One foot in front of the other at whatever pace you can manage... TRUST ME. The energy will come and it will come in ways and amounts you never dreamed possible.

To steal a corporate catch phrase; JUST DO IT.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What a timely post! I started running when I turned 40 and in six months time I was running competitively. I LOVED it. Then life and lethargy happened and I stopped. Well, here I am 50 and I started up again just last Friday. And yesterday my new running shoes came by UPS, neon lime green and baby blue, baby. Boy am I ever excited... and stylin' too! Am sure all my fellow runners will be jealous of my fashion queenness.

I totally second your endorsement of running. For me, it's not just the physical effect (which is substantial; love me some endorphins) but also the feeling of achievement after a run and the satisfaction of practicing a discipline. All three combined are powerful tools in my toolbag for maintaining sobriety.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

right on!!!

Never too late. During my first efforts in sobriety a few years back, I ran the Marine Corps Marathon.

At around mile 21 an older gentleman wound up beside me and asked "mind if I run with you a while... you're inspiring me..."

We got to chatting and I learned he was from South Africa - in the US for a few weeks to run the MCM, NY and Boston all back to back. He was 76 years old.

It's never too late and it's a fantastic addition to life.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree completely.

Especially on the energy -- any energy you expend on running will be returned tenfold.

And it helps immensely if you have trouble sleeping throughout the night.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

agreed 100%
Old 04-08-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Can you send me a new pair of knees please?
Thanks for the inspiration. Time to get the bike out again.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

the Bike works too!! or swimming!!! or rowing... canoeing.... distance roller blading....

options baby! It's about endurance, endorphins and euphoria!!!

Old 04-08-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So true! I can't express enough how much positivity running brings to my Life. So right about energy returning tenfold. 1/2 hour running equals a whole day of feeLing good. Great post!
Old 04-08-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I will DO IT!

Thanks for the uplifting thread.

I'm in a full blown gout attack, but after it passes I'm giving it a shot.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree. Been sober over 11 months, and have been going to the gym all that time, but last week I started running again (used to be an avid runner 15 years ago) with plans to train for a 5k in the fall. At 1.5 miles now. I getting that old "thrill" again that I used to get years ago after a run.

:-)
Old 04-08-2014, 04:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I used to be a runner, before the booze snuffed out my self-discipline. I even did a half-marathon, a 10-miler, and a dozen or so 10k/5ks. I've been thinking about running to work a few days a week. That's about 4 miles. Time to dust off my shoes and get my fat ass back on the road!