Notices

Unwelcome in AA

Old 04-07-2014, 08:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unwelcome in AA

I recently moved and at my first meeting in my new neighborhood, shared my honest experience in AA. I am still a chairperson at a meeting with no sobriety requirement in a meeting ten miles away from my home. I commute weekly. An oldtimer approached me and told me I should forfeit my chair because I am not a proper example of recovery in AA. I am very hurt. What should I do?
Old 04-07-2014, 09:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChristineF View Post
I recently moved and at my first meeting in my new neighborhood, shared my honest experience in AA. I am still a chairperson at a meeting with no sobriety requirement in a meeting ten miles away from my home. I commute weekly. An oldtimer approached me and told me I should forfeit my chair because I am not a proper example of recovery in AA. I am very hurt. What should I do?
I'm sorry to hear that. Did the "oldtimer" really word it that way??? It is disheartening to me when people in AA judge. The only thing I can think of that someone might object to is if you talked about drug addiction more than alcohol in your share. Some members of AA have a problem with that.

However, we've all been in that special deep dark hell hole at one time or another and rigorous honesty is key in recovery. I would try to shake that comment off and stay in the meeting as a chairperson if I were you...assuming you like and feel comfortable with the rest of the meeting.

Good luck and keep going!
Old 04-07-2014, 09:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Proper Example???? You are TRYING !!! You are Giving Yourself to SERVICE !!!

I wasn't there and I can't Read the Mind of that So-Called "OldTimer", but We Must also Remember - It's what We DO with that Clean Time that makes ALL the difference. Old-Timer or NOT...Maybe He/She might not have been working the Program to the BEST of their ability and You happened to be there just at the right time to See the Outcome of that Malpractice of Principles ...Can't let that get You down, Christine - Keep on giving...
It's the Best thing You can do.

Peace
Old 04-07-2014, 09:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SeaScape

Hi I haven't attend AA mtgs but I can only imagine that your feelings are hurt...mine would be too... I hope you can get some useful feedback and that it doesn't discourage you from AA mtgs and involvement. Peace
Old 04-07-2014, 09:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not in AA but I do know no one person speaks for AA Christine
I hope you'll talk to a few others in the group and find out what exactly this oldtimer meant

D
Old 04-07-2014, 10:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
K9 Trainer, Ret. Sys Engr

At my sister's group, they take a group conscience when someone is not completing their commitment, but I have never heard of such a thing, and I am sure it's not Bill W would approve of.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If there's one thing I have found Over and Over again, whether it be AA or ANY Spiritual/Self-Help Readings I've come across.... It's the Concept of Giving/Service to Others.

You did EXACTLY that, in Chairing a Meeting. All the Power to You, Dear. Many People "Coast" through the Program and give the bare Minimum to their Recovery.
You have put Yourself "out there" and it is very commendable.

A Huge part of the Disease of Alcoholism is Isolation and General Anti-Social behavior.

You broke that Barrier within, when You decided to "Chair" a Meeting...That's HUGE -

Good On You, Christine...

From the Lyrics of U2..."Don't let the Bas*ards drag You down..."

Last edited by diffingo911; 04-07-2014 at 10:25 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-07-2014, 11:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am in AA and I'd like to hear more of the story as to why you think he would say that?

Sorry you are hurt but more information would be great:-)
Old 04-07-2014, 11:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChristineF View Post
The important thing is that you chair at a meeting where there is no sobriety requirement...that will have been decided at a group conscience level. Sometimes there are requirements that people chairing have a certain length of sobriety, or that they have worked through the steps, but not at your meeting. And that is great IMO, it gives everyone a chance of doing service, it will help you and be an example to others....

Some old-timers...well let's just say they can be a little opinionated.

Sounds to me like you're doing just fine Christine...carry on and hold your head up high. You're a great example of AA in action.