Notices

Diabetic

Old 04-07-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Diabetic

Hi all.

As my name suggests I am an ex entertainer and like a lot of us, the drink brings out the other 'me' and it was a handy tool when dealing with drunks to be on their level. when I finished I used to meet up with others and sit in the bar till late morning, great times but it's pay back time.

When I finished that job I continued to go out every night though cut down on the yagers and as time went on I came down to about ten pints a night.

I have developed symptoms which turned out to be diabetes, early stage though it has begun attacking my nervous system. My feet ebb and flow between pins and needles and cooling blood as it fills, I can feel the shape of my brain and as I've got control of my sugar levels I have been feeling sick though it's easing.

I was told to try Pilsner but the sugar levels were still shockingly high. So I'm now drinking near a bottle of vodka mixed with water a night, this is not how I planned my life. since I can't afford to pay the price of vodka in a bar I now sit in on my own.

I wouldn't thank you for a drink during the day so I'm not even sure if I'm alcoholic and I live in a tourist area where drink is the norm so there's no guilt. I did try to stop but the nightmares and lack of sleep meant work was difficult. So I know my body is in the very least dependent.

This is now 11 years on, do I need medication to stop in case of withdrawals or is 11 years not too bad and I just have to go through the lack of sleep and dreams? Or maybe cutting is safe. to be honest I've never really tried as I've always enjoyed it.

The other thing now my sugar levels are lower and without meds am I safe at night from hypos when I sleep, I know they can bring therm down, is it common to die with diabetes and drink?

TIA
Old 04-07-2014, 08:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! You will find great support here.

Only You can say if you are an Alcoholic. What about asking your doctor if you stopped Alcohol if your diabetes will improve and if it is caused by it?

Might get the answer you need.

Take care
Old 04-07-2014, 08:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and thanks, my family is diabetic so wasn't surprised. The vodka actually helps bring my sugar levels down as the liver is busy getting rid of the alcohol first. It's complicated but I don't have a doctor.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! This is a recovery forum so you probably won't get much support for the bottle of vodka a night! I have diabetes too and was slow to change my habits. I got sober first but continued to eat sugar. But finally I decided it was time to tackle that problem. I went on a complete non-sugar diet, including eliminating fast carbs like white bread and white rice. I used sugar substitutes and now my glucose levels are completely normal.

You might need a supervised detox: it is always highly recommended.
Difficulties sleeping are common in early recovery, but usually pass within a few days.
Are there any outpatient services in your area for detox and recovery?
Have you talked to a doctor about your diabetes?
Old 04-07-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't want to scare you but Withdrawal is serious business.

We can't give medical advise here, but if you don't have a doctor you can look at detox Centers in your area. They will be able to help you do this safelly.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi and thanks. I know I have to stop but will try cutting down first I think just in case. I found ou through a doctor but couldn't afford to keep going back it was 100 euro for one blood test. I have my bg meter and woke this morning to 5.9 or 106 so am a bit concerned at hypos the meter went off once at 3.3.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you have diabetes and you're trying to taper off alcohol, you need to see a Dr Exentertainer.

I'm not sure where you are, so I can't suggest what to do, but nothings more important than your health.

Find a way at least to see someone at your local hospital?

D
Old 04-08-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee, I did see a doctor but can't afford more visits. I was drinking up to the shoulder of a litre bottle normally starting about 7pm. I'm now starting at 10pm and buying a half bottle. I did sleep last night thankfully, had a kip this afternoon and had a nightmare but I can wake myself in the day.

My blood sugar figures are now around 5.5 but of course alcohol drops it drastically so I have a supply of nuts and other stuff to keep it constant which I snack on.

I was hoping other diabetics might give their experience.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not diabetic myself but one of my close friends is.

He wasn't usually much of a drinker but he was a prodigious pot smoker, was drinking and smoking to excess one weekend, lost track of his levels, fell into a diabetic coma and developed ketoacidosis.

He survived...just.

I really believe this isn't something to fool with.
Make some enquiries and get some help, man.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I understand, I had a plant growing which I smoked and it was great, it raises the metabolism and keeps you up but when I ran out I sank. Still going now.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

Why not get to the ER and get a proper detox and have your diabetes monitored?

ethanol alcohol is a form of sugar.....and pot will mess with your sugar levels, too!
Old 04-09-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I can't I'm not on the system and can't afford it. I switched to vodka but I have always been a beer drinker, now my figures go really low to hypo levels at times and I have to remember to eat before I sleep. I just wonder if other diabetics have these extra dives as well and how often someone dies from it.