Notices

My short story

Old 04-06-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My short story

I have been drinking heavy for about 16 years drinking mostly the hard stuff, about 5 to 6 drinks per night with each one having two or more shots in them. I never freely admit I have a problem using the reasons that I don't drink and drive, never miss work... But inside I know I rely on the stuff each night to fight anxiety. I am healthy, work out and seem to be happy but then why do I need it. Anyways for reasons unknown I have been sober now for the last 96 hours, before this I haven't gone through one day without a drink in over a year and a half, and then tonight I stumbled on this website. Can anyone tell me their thoughts? I am thinking of having a couple, what's the harm right, but then why not see if I can get through another night.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I totally get the nightly drinking to ease the anxiety. I'm on the same boat. Let the thought of having a few tonight go away... You've been great for 96 hours. I've been for only 24 hours. I'm looking up to you. I'm drinking passion fruit juice instead. It's delicious and a natural remedy for anxiety. Let's do something else for our anxiety.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Shrvwjoe - welcome

The thing with drinking for anxiety is, over time, alcohol actually increases your anxiety.

You become dependent on those nightly drinks and anxious when, for whatever reason, they don't come.

to me thats a pretty good reason not to drink tonight.

Break the cycle - the longer you pit off doing something about this, the harder it will be

D
Old 04-06-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Shrvwjoe,
I can only speak for me but here's what I know. Alcohol isn't going to change. It is what it is. I got to the point where I had to ask myself how's this really working for me. And I had to be honest. Not all that well.

Welcome! Stick around. If you want a place where people get to be safe and ask the hard questions and get a ton of support from people who understand...you found it!
Old 04-06-2014, 04:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

Hi Shrwjoe

Welcome to SR chat. You have found a great place. Why don't you try going without alcohol for 30 days ? See how you feel at the end of it ?

CHeers
Old 04-06-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello Shrvwjoe,

I had a similar pattern before things escalated. I am 43 and have been drinking most of my adult life. It started with the occasional night a week like everyone in knew. Drink til drunk partying. What other way is there to have a good time? It tapered off when I got into my healthy lifestyle and career objectives but there was still only one way to have a good time. 10 years ago a friend introduced me to the so called "good stuff". From there, the before bed drink became regular. They soon became 3-5 doubles before bed. Never miss work. I stopped often for weeks but always reverted. Then it got bad. I could lose a whole weekend of productivity and some work days staying home "sipping". Next I would go through the wine if I was out of single malt.

It is wonderful you have found this forum. If you are looking and questioning, there is a reason. I am too new to offer profound advice but you will find mountains of support and advice here. Check in often.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"I am thinking of having a couple, what's the harm right, but then why not see if I can get through another night."

Shrv, why did you say "what's the harm"? What does that mean to you?
Old 04-06-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for the replies, I think I will be ok tonight now but the funny thing is I am already worried about tomorrow. My experience from the past tells me if I know I will drink that night then I don't worry about it, but if I plan on being sober for an evening then that day is filled with my mind debating should I or shouldn't I, that to me is the hardest part. Thanks again.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Raider, I guess what's the harm means that I believe I can control it, (when I probably can't). Still new to this, thanks for the reply
Old 04-06-2014, 05:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Happy, Joyous & Free

Tomorrow never comes. All we have is today. Anyone can stay sober for 1 day. You've proven it yourself. Just stay sober today and when the clock strikes midnight, just stay sober today.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Dee's right about the alcohol only increasing anxiety. I couldn't believe how my anxiety skyrocketed right alongside my increased drinking.

I find taking it one day, one hour, and sometimes minutes at a time, at the beginning extremely useful.

Welcome and sending strength to get through the first days and beyond.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Shrv, sadly I can't control it. Tried that once, ended up back in withdrawals. Good luck. It's really hard and you are doing great.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Alcohol was causing my anxiety. I was getting to the point where I was afraid to drive to the store let alone go in. I would say my anxiety and panic attacks have decreased 90% since I've start this fight against alcohol.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi Shrvwjoe, welcome to SR
Well done on 96 hours.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome, Shrvwjoe. I think you're starting to figure out the root of the problem. Those normal people, the ones that don't have any problem with booze- how much time to you think they spend agonizing over whether or not to have a drink? Yeah, the answer is probably "none." Most of us have been where you are, bargaining with ourselves, making deals, drawing "lines in the sand" that we know full well we're gonna cross.

The rule of thumb is that if you wonder if you have a drinking problem, you probably do. My drinking followed a similar trajectory. At first it was fun, then it was necessary to have a good time, til eventually it was necessary to anything at all. In the beginning I liked to "party" but after a while I just sat at home and drank by myself. Rot gut stuff as a kid, then "the good stuff" as I got older. Ultimately the result is the same.