Notices

Don't ever give up

Old 04-06-2014, 03:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Don't ever give up

On 4/2/14 of this week, I decided to come back to SR. My real troubles with alcohol have been going on for at least 15 years. Here, at SR, I've been on and off again for over two years, and I "lurked" before then. I had a string of three days this week, which is a feat for me, and for the first time in months, I slept good, and woke up feeling refreshed. I know this feeling, and I want more. If only we could realize an addiction to sobriety is better than an addiction to alcohol or drugs.

Last night, I drank. And where does that bring you? Back to the realization that these days are always the hardest. These first days are such a struggle, and it doesn't matter what point you are at in your journey of sobriety. They are a struggle. And reading all of the stories from those that have attained years, they reiterate that there are days it can be just as tough after years of sobriety. Those triggers are always there.

That means that we have to remember, again we are not alone. And that the more we can allow ourselves to accept our faults and weaknesses and learn from them, that there are people here that really understand and will give us guidance as to what we need to do to make it better. They are not telling us what to do, they are helping us think about what we need to do as individuals to find a plan that works.

There are many parts we have to remember, though, and there are many of us that are living proof. This cannot be done alone. There is no such thing as having one drink. There is no such thing as controlled drinking. We all have our slips. We all can come back. We cannot give up. And most importantly we have to reach out to someone or others in general to help us along. Sometimes the people we love and love us back, might not follow our lead. We may have a spouse that drinks and doesn't think you have a problem. We may have a wonderful friend that doesn't understand why it's so important to quit drinking.

We will end up in situations that "test" us and whatever it takes to make it through, that way must be found. It may even take avoiding those things we loved to do so much before. But, the benefits will far outweigh the sacrifice.

I do drink every day. It hasn't destroyed my life. It hasn't destroyed my marriage. It hasn't destroyed my job. Yet. The scariest part is what our addictions due to our health. And even though we think we are okay, the results of what we are doing to our bodies is far from pretty.

I decided to join the 24 hour club on 4/2/14. And for the first time in too long, I strung three days in a row of sobriety. Till last night. But, the 24 hour club has given me the strength to be here, be honest, and show back up for 24 more. The longest stretch I've had is three months, and yes, they were the most wonderful, rewarding three months I've had.

Please to those "lurking" and those that are struggling as most of us do and as I am, too, the biggest key is to never give up. Our stories are all different, but this part of our lives is all the same.

Hugs, love, and prayers to everyone here.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Knowledge is a powerful thing. You now
have the knowledge of recovery to help
you, guide you, strengthen you through
recovery with every step you take one
day at a time.

Listen.....Learn.....Absorb....Apply...
Old 04-06-2014, 03:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You hit it aasharon. Knowledge is good, but how one uses it is key. My new Mantra..."Listen, learn, absorb, apply". Thank you!
Old 04-06-2014, 03:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really sincerely believe that as long as we never give up we can never lose

Sometimes the tiniest change in what do, how we act, or even what we think, can make great, lasting, ripples of change.

Welcome back Marjoram

D
Old 04-06-2014, 04:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you, Marjoram, for this insightful post. I am like you in many ways...back and forth with sobriety for a couple of years after years of drinking and not having lost or experienced anything horrific to alcohol (yet) besides my peace of mind and physical well being at times. But we know that we have crossed a line somewhere, that we are now addicted, and we need to do whatever it takes to maintain sobriety.

I am only a week into sobriety this time around, but it is so true that those first few days are the absolute worst and hardest. The only way that we can ensure that we won't have to go through those first few days again is to not take that first drink.

Beautiful post, thank you
Old 04-06-2014, 05:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The expression "KEEP COMING" finely had the desired results for me.

BE WELL
Old 04-06-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That is where I am IOAA2. I'm glad to be able to come back and be welcomed with open arms, insightful thoughts, and the support of those that can relate and understand. There are many compassionate people here that can help the thought process of why sobriety is so important and valuable to our lives. Thank you!
Old 04-06-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good to see you back here at SR. It's never too late to turn things around.