Notices

Sunny Day Day-Drinkin....

Old 04-06-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey FreeOwl, I know exactly how you feel. Yesterday was one of those kind of days for me. What Brent and BigS posted really resonates for me.
It was just the perfect day for a cold beer - I was actually tasting it. The hineykin commercial didn't help. But I survived.
We will have these moments I am sure. I'm looking forward to the day when it never crosses my mind. Hope that day arrives.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:53 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

This is a really interesting thread. I used to drink on weekends all day. Then I would pass out and wake up at seven p.m. Thinking it was seven a.m. and would be totally disoriented for a while. I really don't miss that at all.

It is hard to be an adult in society and totally get away from alcohol and people drinking but it can be done. It just isn't as easy. But it also made me think about a few times lately that I've heard people talking about drinking or wanting to drink. They sounded almost like little kids trying to be naughty, trying to do something adult. Why did a lot of us start drinking to begin with? To seem more grown up? Because it was something that big people did around little kids? I think that was half the allure for me. But once I started drinking what did it do for me? It stunted my maturity and I acted like a baby. I think it took me so long to want to quit because I was having Peter Pan issues even though I'm not a guy. I didn't want to grow up.

I think it's great that you started this thread Owl. And you didn't drink either. Great. I've had trouble lately being around any alcohol lately. More now than when I first got sober back in November. But, coming here and reading really helps.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:27 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

yeah.... it's kind of odd. Why do SO many seem to almost NEED to have alcohol interwoven with life?

there are a lot of people - in fact I'd go so far as to say MOST people in my community fall into this category - for whom socializing is simply synonymous with booze. I know there are those who take a wholly different path, never set foot in a bar (not because of any 'problem' simply by living a different set of priorities), but they are definitely in the minority.

Why, then do so many 'adult' functions seem to include alcohol as an almost-prerequisite?

Watch your facebook feed. Watch TV. Watch sports. Watch the people around you. Go to a wedding, a wake, a college graduation, any gathering of 2 or more adults..... watch people going on a date, it's sunny, it's cloudy, it's Thursday...

And alcohol is very likely to be involved. WTF????

Anyway, it's day 100 today. Yesterday afternoon after an athletic event I was involved with, the entire group went for an after-gathering. Of course - at a bar. I had a root beer, but I found that I'd definitely hit my limit for being in or around drinking settings. Later that afternoon my Lady and I were contemplating meeting friends at a local music event that I really did want to see... but I had to say "I really feel like I've had my fill of bar environments for this weekend". She said "yeah, me too" - so we stayed home and watched thirty rock together and that was a whole lot better.