Notices

No alcohol = better skin?

Old 04-05-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

No alcohol = better skin?

Day 16 of now alcohol for me…my longest stretch of sobriety in three years.

Even after this short time, my life seems to be improving in many ways…my favorite improvement is the absence of hangovers. Over these last 16 days I have not even once woken up and thought, "Gosh, no hangover. That's too bad, I really wish I had drank myself silly last night." Nope, never happens.

One surprising improvement is an apparent improvement in my skin. I deal with adult acne…helps give me that youthful glow. But the acne seems to be only half as bad now as it was back when I was drinking (almost) daily. Has anyone else noticed such a change? Additional possible factors are that I am taking more consistent care of my skin now, and I am eating better. Any thoughts?
Old 04-05-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Tap. I'm happy to hear the good news. Yes, I definitely did notice a change in my complexion. An absence of 'gin blossoms' and that flushed, puffy look. Makeup can only do so much - I always thought I was fooling everyone, but I looked awful.

Congrats on your Day 16. A wonderful achievement.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

My skin improved tremendously. Acne cleared up, skin tone evened out, redness practically disappeared. I swear even the shape of my face (less bloat?) improved!

Not suffering hangovers and better skin--two factors among many that keep me sober!

Keep it up, Taproot!
Old 04-05-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My skin at first - maybe 7 or 8 days - was very flakey - but it got better real quick. At a month lots of people were commenting on it. The rest of you only gets better too.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Realising my life

I found that my skin started feeling really, really soft. I think it was because it was finally being hydrated! Fourteen months later, it is still like velvet
Old 04-05-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

yes it wouldnt surprise me. Alcohol is a poison after all, its bound to have a bad effect on the body in all sorts of ways.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Heck YES!! Alcohol severely disrupts the gut flora in your GI tract. It kills good and bad bacteria which directly effects your skin.

google alcohol and the gastrointestinal tract and you will find an excellent article on this
Old 04-05-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mimij View Post
Heck YES!! Alcohol severely disrupts the gut flora in your GI tract. It kills good and bad bacteria which directly effects your skin.

google alcohol and the gastrointestinal tract and you will find an excellent article on this
No to go off topic but what did you do, if anything, to help rebuild your gut flora?
Old 04-05-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Taking5 this is a bit of a long story. Takes lot of diligence and the right probiotics and other things. Best to work with a good natropathic doctor or functional medicine doctor and not self treat. Can go a long way towards health by eating whole food, 1/4 protien, 1/4 startch and 1/2 veg for lunch and dinner and protein with breakfast. This keeps blood sugar stable. I cut out processed sugar (yes and evaporated cane juice from packaged foods) and focus on whole foods. White sugar and processed foods and alcohol are extremely disrupted to good microbe balance in the gut. You can pm me if you have more questions
Old 04-05-2014, 02:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Also many current and past drinkers have SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth) and are malnurished and low in lots of minerals and vitamins and this can alter mood, digestion AND skin. Good to work with a holistic doctor (Chinese, natropath, etc...) to get it all sorted out and re-balance the body!
Old 04-05-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Only day 6 for me Taproot and yes I am already noticing the
changes to my appearance
Mine is mainly the puffy eyes.. But no more puffy eyes for me!
I look in the mirror and I'm loving the new sober me..
Very good anti-ageing solution-- Don't Drink!!
Old 04-05-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mimij View Post

I didn't realize this! I just spent 2 weeks on heavy antibiotics for an infection, coinciding roughly with quitting drinking, and I have been surprised that my system didn't go down the tubes. With this new information, it makes sense.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes! Much better.

In addition to my skin just naturally looking better in sobriety, I am now taking the time to care for it as well with moisturizer, glow oil and make up! When I was drinking, it was throw on a pair of sunglasses bare faced and walk to the store for another bottle of wine!
Old 04-27-2014, 01:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

From a male perspective my skin has improved a lot, i'm 1 month in and I no longer have dry skin and the redness is fading everyday. Its such a visible improvement it gives me motivation. My scalp used to get very dry and itchy too and that seems to have gone. I have replaced the alcohol with 2 or 3litres of water daily also which is helping.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yeah I agree - maybe I just feel so much better in myself that I think I look better too!
Old 04-27-2014, 03:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

My skin improved but not the miracle most had. I have roseacea. Drinking makes it much worse. So even without a dramatic change, for sure my skin is better without the booze.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to the sobriety makeover Taproot. Even an old bird like me (58) has better skin, brighter eyes, better hair condition and an endless list of health improvements. Keep going, it only gets better.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

tornrealization, if you have Rosacea it is from SIBO. SMall intestine Bacterial overgrowth. Where good bacteria migrates from large intestine into the small intestine. It is very common. A very good holistic doctor, Natropath, or Chinese medicine doctor that helps with GI disturbances can help you heal your SIBO/Rosacea from the inside out.