Notices

Alcohol & Autism Spectrum Disorders

Old 04-05-2014, 02:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Alcohol & Autism Spectrum Disorders

Hello, I am new to this site and saw a post a couple of days ago by some people with Asperger's syndrome but I don't know how to find it again! I am an adult who has been diagnosed with both Asperger's & Attention Deficit Disorder (apparently it's quite common for the two to co-exist). Since my first drink as a teenager I have had a love-hate relationship with alcohol, especially in the fraught & uncertain realm of social interaction. I am currently struggling with breaking free of it's sticky clutches after a few years of high stress & anxiety that found me relying on it to manage (& ultimately mis-manage!) some of my worst anxiety symptoms. My life is much more stable & less stressed now but I am still dependent, though less so than even a few months ago. I'm hoping that a supportive community of people who understand what it's like will help me complete the journey back to 'life' as I know it can be lived - alcohol free & happy! I have been to AA many years ago & know it is not for me. I have many good & supportive friends but it's not the same as talking with people who know because they've been there. Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and take the first step in a new direction.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Wildsage

I think the thread you read is here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...s-syndrom.html

D
Old 04-05-2014, 02:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

YOU made the step in the best direction! Welcome to SR!
Old 04-05-2014, 02:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks, it feels like the a good direction!
Old 04-05-2014, 02:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you! I'm glad to be here
Old 04-05-2014, 02:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You can express yourself here without judgement, this site most likey saved my life. + the amount of people / knowledge / experience is incredible.

Someone will have been trough something similar than you for sure.

Makes us feel less isolated and alone. Looks like I got up early and we are the only 2 rocking. 5:42 am here in la belle province. CA/Quebec!
Old 04-05-2014, 03:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well, here in Oz it's nearly 9 pm! And you're right, already I feel less isolated - it's a good feeling. Years ago when I drank & couldn't control it I was so ashamed and cut myself off from people because I was sure that I was the only person in the world who was so weak and despicable (?) One thing I surely hate about addiction is how it undermines my sense of self worth...As if that isn't something that needs nurturing & looking after!
Old 04-05-2014, 03:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

You had two identical threads wildsage - I merged the two

D
Old 04-05-2014, 03:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks D! It will take me a while to work it all out...Btw, how do I add a 'signature' quote at the end of my posts, like Thepatman's Ali quote?
Old 04-05-2014, 03:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you click on User CP at the left of the big blue toolbar that runs across the top of the page, 'edit signature' is one of the options in the drop down menu

D
Old 04-05-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks D!
Old 04-06-2014, 05:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So I'm just checking in again today...still finding my way around. Do I come back to same place or just go anywhere, or both? Just wanting to make contact, really...though it's actually bedtime for me now...feels good to be part of something bigger that seems so welcoming. Glad I found this place. Be back soon!
Old 04-06-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can keep posting to this thread or start a new one - whatever you like wildsage

D
Old 04-06-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks D. Glad you're here to help me find my way around! I've never been part of something like this before but already I'm glad I am. Like I want to live up to my best sober self even more, if that makes sense. Now off to start the day...
Old 04-06-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a good one

D
Old 04-07-2014, 12:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Wildsage

I am an aspie apparently. I am in aspergers denial at the moment though I am coming to terms with it a bit better now and beginning to see how it relates to me. My situation is that I went to see a therapist after a few years sober and still struggling with some stuff and he suggested to me I am on the autistic spectrum. Part of me just didn't want to accept it as I've been walking around thinking everyone else was weird and I was normal (oops), so it feels like I have just been told I am wrong about everything. Being part of this community has been incredibly helpful for me though and I am not sure I would have got sober without it. It is something that support really helps with and that can be difficult if you struggle socially so an online community is a good option. Glad you are here x
Old 04-07-2014, 02:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Realising my life

A very warm welcome to you, wildsage, from a very damp UK!
Old 04-07-2014, 03:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you hypochondriac! Thank you HeadLump! I really like how welcoming everyone is here. And I agree with you, hypochondriac, about the benefit of an online community for those of us who may struggle with social situations, especially a group of 'strangers'... except that I'm already feeling like people here aren't really strangers since we all have a common problem with the dreaded poison! Also I often find it easier to express myself, and work out what I'm really trying to say, in print. So already I feel more comfortable than I would in a room full of real, live people! Lol
And Headlamp here in my part of the world it's due to get damp pretty soon & we could really use it...been a long, hot summer! At least it's probably green where you are!
Old 04-07-2014, 03:08 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Oops, sorry HeadLump...got to keep an eye on the damn damn spell checker on my phone...thinks it's really clever!
Old 04-07-2014, 03:11 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi wildsage, welcome to SR