Notices

How do I tell my parents I'm addicted to oxycodone??

Old 04-04-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question How do I tell my parents I'm addicted to oxycodone??

I've been percribed to oxy for 9 weeks & now that I'm suppose to be off of it I can't I've been stealing my parents Oxys.. I can't sleep at all without it!! my dad is very abusive so I'm super scared to tell him. There gonna be so disappointed.. It's been weeks of me stealing & buying Oxys & I don't want to do this anymore!
Old 04-04-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know how to answer your question, but you certainly do NOT deserve to be abused, ever, under any circumstances.
There is help out there if you need it. Please seek it out if you do.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Is there someone else in your life that you trust that you can tell who can tell your parents for you or accompany you while you tell them? Please, please, do not hide in fear. No one deserves abuse. Oxy is a very very serious addiction, please tell someone you trust and get the help you deserve.

Good for you to be strong enough to come here for support. Keep posting, you are not alone and will find good support here!
Old 04-04-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Arkansasgirl,
I had a thought for you, are you a student? Is there a counselor, teacher or nurse you could talk to? I trained to be a high school teacher, though I didn't become one, and the district in which I trained had a very clear policy for teachers that if a student came to them asking for help with substance abuse, that teacher was to follow a confidential channel within the school to connect that student with help. It was never to be treated as a disciplinary situation.
You can probably go to the website for your school district, and look up their drug and alcohol policy.
If you are under 21, but over 18, you could still be eligible for some services through your county's educational service district, referred to by the name of the county/ESD if you want to look it up. I have no idea what your state provides, but it's worth a phone call to find out.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your dilemma Arkansasgirl. I do not disagree with other's advice. Sooner or later they are going to find out - one way or another. It's a fact of life.

Another option is for you go to your Mother. Start by saying, "Mom, I need help."
Only you know your situation. Being honest is a good first step to take. Attempting to avoid the inevitable may come around to hurt you. THIS IS JUST AN OPINION and an option not already suggested to you. Good luck. Brian

I apologize if your dad is the only one there, but you did say "parents"
Old 04-04-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can talk to my mom but she will tell my dad... & yeah I'm a student I'm 17. I want to tell them but at the same time I don't cause I'll lose all there trust & all my freedom. my brother has had the same issues & my whole family is done with him & I'm scared the same will happen with me.
Thank you all for the replies (:
Old 04-04-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Don't despair.

Not sure why you got prescribed OXI. But why don't you ask your parents to go see the doctor because you still feel sick and since you expired your prescription you have problem sleeping? The doctor might figure out by himself and prescribe something to help you sleep that is not so addictive.

And you might have some alone time with doc and tell him you got addicted.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

A couple of thoughts,

Do you have pain management clinics there that also offer a taper program....
Can you talk to your Doc and explain what has happened (I am sure he will be aware of prescription drug addiction) ask his help for a taper...
Talk to a family member you feel safer with for extra support.

Even with a taper there is still some discomfort and unfortunately but the good news is you only have to do it once.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was percribed because I dislocated my ankle & had to have 3 surgeries. & yeah my prescription expired so I'm just finding other ways to get it.

I'm sure there is pain management clinics I'll look into it!

Thanks yall
Old 04-04-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Are there any treatment services close to where you live? Would it be possible to talk to the doctor who originally prescribed the medication?

I was an opiate/opioid addict at points in my life. I know the fear of running out. That being said you can beat the addiction. If you can get some professional medical help it would make it a LOT easier.

Don't put yourself in any danger. I don't know what you mean by "abusive" but nobody, not NOBODY, should be treated in an abusive manner.

Hang in there and be well.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

yes I'm going back to the doctor Monday to get my cast taken off & I'll talk with him about the pills! I know I can't quit on my own I've been trying for weeks now.
Thanks (: