Notices

Advice

Old 04-04-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice

Hello

I've been here before and I just need some advice. I have a lot of difficulty getting past a two/three week period of not drinking. Progress - yes - at least its not drinking every three or four days. But I find it very frustrating not to break that 2 or 3 week barrier. People in here have mentioned that once one gets past a certain point the crazy desires fade. I just never seem to get there! Any advice? My wife wants me to attempt to be a normal drinker - but in my mind that almost seems like a green light 'good to go" every 2 or 3 weeks.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Which program are you working?

If you arent trying to get better by DOING SOMETHING ELSE, then keep on keeping on. 2-3 week mark, yup sounds normal. Well that magic mark, varies greatly my friend Billy395, the crazy desires fading. It can take years, or decades, weeks or a couple months. All depends on what you are doing, what actions you are taking. My advice to you is to go to AA, get a Big Book, get a SPonsor and starting doing what the Big Book says. You are never going to be a normal drinker, NEVER, get that through the brain process. She is just as sick as you, for putting up with your antics. She needs to go to Alanon, and you need to go to AA, that is my advice. You however can choose whatever you want. If you want to try the controlled drinking, I hope you dont lose too much. There is a proven success method, with very high success rate. If you are closed minded, egotistical then disgard AA and make up your own method. Try SMART Recovery, google it. Try this new-age Addictive Thinking method, I have no idea how it works, google it and learn. Life is about learning about yourself, the largest journey is from your brain to your heart, and the first step (this is not AA) to any journey is the hardest. But if you keep putting one foot in front of the other then sooner or later you will have climbed Mount Everst. But without a Guide, and Sherpas, there will be a grave stone waiting for you.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There is the obsession, which is short term, and then there will always be little cravings and temptations that arise from time to time.

I found that if I had just one drink, or one pull from a joint, that was enough to set the obsession off again. Each time you drink, you're resetting that, if you can just get past the initial obsession, and stay clean, I think the worst of it will be over.

You could change your schedule a bit, volunteer, find something to get out of the house to occupy your time.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Nothing changes if nothing changes. What have you changed since the last time you posted here with just about the same question?

As I posted in someone thread a couple days ago. Advice isn't going to get you sober. Only action, by you, is going to do that.

Posting to SR before you drink might be a start. Leveling with your wife about the extent of your problem and your desire to be sober and the imposibility of your being a normal drinker might help to.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Advice from me.
Bill,you will never be a "normal" drinker.
And your wife has to accept that fact.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There is no such thing as a normal 'drinker'. There are normal people who can drink, but they are not 'drinkers'.
I know, I know. Semantics shemantics...
Old 04-04-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bills

2-3 weeks is never going to be long enough for you to lose those crazy desires.

Sometime, somehow, you're just going to have to learn to deal with those desires and get through them.

Yes it's uncomfortable, but it's not impossible to get through them

Posting here more will help - why not join the Class of April?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-2014-a-8.html

Other people use recovery groups like AA, or some other alternative as well.

Here are some tips to deal with cravings:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html