Notices

New guy here

Old 04-04-2014, 06:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New guy here

Hey everyone.. decided to give these forums a try. Long time reader, first time poster and all of that. Been drinking steadily for about 15 years, since my teens. Looking for some support and guidance.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I should mention that I pretty well nearly wrecked my entire life because of the booze. It causes me to do wild things.. have been tapering off for a while but I fear it's gonna be bad like it was before. I've gotten into fights, gotten arrested, said stupid things to people close to me, missed work, spent excessive amounts of money, hurt myself physically (requiring hospitalization). Gives me massive depression and panic.. anxiety attacks.. makes me feel hopeless. I don't even have fun anymore when I drink.. why do I do it? I only drink at home, alone, watching sports. Man I don't understand this addiction.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by FreddyFatal99 View Post
I should mention that I pretty well nearly wrecked my entire life because of the booze. It causes me to do wild things.. have been tapering off for a while but I fear it's gonna be bad like it was before. I've gotten into fights, gotten arrested, said stupid things to people close to me, missed work, spent excessive amounts of money, hurt myself physically (requiring hospitalization). Gives me massive depression and panic.. anxiety attacks.. makes me feel hopeless. I don't even have fun anymore when I drink.. why do I do it? I only drink at home, alone, watching sports. Man I don't understand this addiction.
Sounds like you'll fit right in! Welcome.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Freddy! We're so glad you joined us. You are no longer alone with the fight.

I did it too - allowed alcohol to wreck my life. I'm much older - at least you're seeing at a young age what it's doing to you. You can stop all those dangerous, unpredictable things from happening. We are with you.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by FreddyFatal99 View Post
Hey Freddy,

Hello and welcome, you will feel very comfortable here amongst very compassionate and understanding people.
Who understands why we do what we do? I sure have no idea why I drank but like you the fun seemed to stop. I drank with my friends through my 20's in the pubs and clubs and then started drinking much like yourself alone while watching a game or a movie but drinking 7 days a week none the less, what gave me a major fright was I happened to sees gentleman who had liver issues and he was yellow, I mean yellow to a scary degree and it really made me look within myself and realise that this could be me in the future and I cannot put myself into this state, since that point I have put down the drink and focused all my energy on being a better and more considerate person to everyone I know and hopefully help out some good pholks right here on SR.

Welcome
Stuart.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR,Freddy.
Central Ma. guy here.
This is a great site to learn from and get and give encouragement.
It sure helped me to stay on the sober path.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome Freddy XX
Old 04-04-2014, 08:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Freddy.

My life was in shambles from the drinking too. I can relate to most everything you said about where drinking has landed you.

I was afraid when I quit that I wouldn't be ok without drinking- but it turns out I was more than ok without alcohol.

It helped me to focus on taking things one day at a time. 24 hours without drinking was a manageable goal for me.

The first week or so, I just read a lot on here and tried to get through the initial days. Then I started to develop new, sober routines to help my recovery.

Here's a post I made at 6 months on the things that helped to get me through: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...along-way.html
Old 04-04-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Its a puzzle how we get ourselves into this. Welcome to SR.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

welcome Freddy....one of the best perks of sobriety (for me)...is so much less anxiety, panic and depression....drinking seemed to exacerbate them, magnify the problems.

Our problems do not magically disappear of course, but the WAY we deal with them and look at them sure does.

drinking accounted for many a financial anxiety, not drinking added up to make life easier in this respect. $10.00 a day on booze (conservative estimate) is $70.00 a week or $300.00 a month.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

THanks for your replies all. I was on another site which got you to write down the expenses you face when you drink. Alcohol, taxis, eating out while out drinking, tips, and everything else. I calculated I spend around $400 a month on it. And I'm far from rich, I could use that $$ elsewhere. It's amazing. Nothing to show for it aside from anxiety and a weak liver. And a bunch of broken promises.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Freddy. I am glad you are here with us.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by firstymer View Post
Welcome to SR, Freddy. I am glad you are here with us.
Thanks pal
Old 04-04-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You'll be so glad you quit. It takes a while but man oh man does it get better. Drinking just gets worse.

I don't know if I could have done it without SR.

Welcome.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks gaffo. Yes I know it progressives.. never gets better. I just joined SR but I have been coming in here and reading the different threads throughout the past few months.. it's great to be around people who know what you're going through.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome Freddy. Shouldn't you be out in the bull pen right now? Or are you writing from the game?

The last part of your report was me. Drinking alone at home every day. If no sports was on the tube, then it was the detective shows etc.

This is a good place to be. Time to stop. Every time I see a young guy in a meeting complaining how his life was ruined by alcohol, I think to myself what I wouldn't give to trade places with him right now. If I could only go back 10, 20 or 30 years and know now what I didn't know then...
Old 04-04-2014, 01:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Welcome to SR!

The anxiety will get so much better once you stop drinking. I was diagnosed two years ago with an anxiety disorder. I haven't had any anxiety for the past three weeks.

I would come home from work and start drinking as soon as I walked in the door. I drank alone everyday for almost a year, usually about a fifth of vodka during the week, more on the weekends. I blew so much money.

Anyways, thanks for posting.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome Freddy!!
Old 04-04-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Freddy.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Freddy
so...whats your plan?