SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   4 days maybe 5 straight (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/327972-4-days-maybe-5-straight.html)

AdmimalBlueEyes 04-03-2014 09:29 PM

4 days maybe 5 straight

Ok so I've hated my drinking habit for 2 years now. I'm up to 1/2 a fifth a day plus about 8 tylon pms to get me to sleep , I was using the excuse " I will quit once I get some time off . well I got some time off 10 days ago last friday I got a fifth of alcohol and woke up monday with 4 empty ones lying in my hotel room ( this may be a under exageration) I know once I get started I feel so ****** that I countinue to wake up drink and pass out to avoid the hangover. Monday I was to hungover to walk to the store 50 ft from my hotel . I somehow maid the decision not to drink monday , and continued untill now. I feel good . hungry as hell and suprisingly for the first time I had rem sleep for about 2 hours . question is how long does it take to get a normal sleeping habit again. I know my hunger is from my lack of 800 calories+ from vodka so I'm thinking that will stabalise , last time I did this I went at it alone and made the stupid choice of thinking I could have one drink , I'm sure u can figure out how that went . I visited my doctor today because monday I was halucinating and I read quiting cold turkey can be dangerous , he's a devoit christian and recomended aa well I don't like the sound of it but I hate how drinking " makes me act " and feel so I'm going to give it a try . I've been a a comotose purgatory for the last few months and look forward to being sober for a very very very long time . ty for reading. Your support and prayers

Pedro1234 04-03-2014 09:45 PM

Good luck with your sobriety. I am glad you have been to the doctors given what you have been through. :)

Dee74 04-03-2014 09:48 PM

Hi Admiral :)

I think it varies for everyone...used to take me a week or so to get back into a regular sleeping pattern...some ppl are shorter time, others longer.

I think have nothing to lose by trying something new like AA....I know atheists who do ok in it :)

D

SeaScape 04-03-2014 09:48 PM

You have my support and prays.

Do whatever it takes to get sober..aa or counseling, etc.

I recently read a lot of AVRT literature and it really spoke to me. You will find what speaks to you but you must try!

Welcome!

Aarryckha 04-03-2014 09:56 PM

Merry meet, Admiral!

I'm glad you've made the decision to kick the poison out of your life.

If you are having concerns about detoxing alone and your physician didn't give you anything to help, please go to the ER to seek help if you need.

AA is nice for hanging out with the 3-D people. Like so many people say, take what you need, leave the rest.

Wishing you all the best. Check back with us. There's lots of people here to support you!

Treerat66 04-04-2014 12:10 AM

Hi Admiral, good luck.

Notmyrealname 04-04-2014 03:36 AM

FYI - Tylenol's active ingredient is acetaminophen, aka paracetamol. You should not mix this with alcohol or exceed the recommended dosage, it can kill you. Some Wikipedia -

Liver damage

Acute overdoses of paracetamol can cause potentially fatal liver damage. According to the US Food and Drug Administration, "Acetaminophen can cause serious liver damage if more than directed is used."[28] and in 2011 the FDA required manufacturers to update labels of all prescription combination acetaminophen products to warn of the potential risk for severe liver injury[29] and launched a public education program to help consumers avoid overdose.[30] [31] The risk may be heightened by chronic alcohol abuse. Paracetamol toxicity is the foremost cause of acute liver failure in the Western world, and accounts for most drug overdoses in the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand.[32][33][34][35] According to the FDA, in the United States there were "56,000 emergency room visits, 26,000 hospitalizations, and 458 deaths per year related to acetaminophen-associated overdoses during the 1990s. Within these estimates, unintentional acetaminophen overdose accounted for nearly 25 percent of the emergency department visits, 10 percent of the hospitalizations, and 25 percent of the deaths."[36]

Paracetamol is metabolised by the liver and is hepatotoxic; side effects are multiplied when combined with alcoholic drinks, and very likely in chronic alcoholics or patients with liver damage.[27][37] Some studies have suggested the possibility of a moderately increased risk of upper gastrointestinal complications such as stomach bleeding when high doses are taken chronically.[38] Kidney damage is seen in rare cases, most commonly in overdose.[39] The Food and Drug Administration has warned doctors against prescribing paracetamol/narcotic combinations whose dosages exceed 325 mg of paracetamol due to hepatoxicity risks of greater magnitude than the therapeutic benefits conferred.[40]

KateL 04-04-2014 03:46 AM

Well done. I always found that hunger was a good sign. I was never hungry when I drank xxxx

lovemesomeokra 04-04-2014 03:58 AM

Please read what Notmyrealname posted. Tylenol and alcohol are a DEADLY combination. If you haven't told your doc how much you're drinking and how much tylenol you're taking, I urge you to do so right away. Together you can come up with a safer way to get you through detox and into sobriety. Your liver's health (and your life) may depend on it.