Notices

Aaand this is why I shouldn't skip meetings...

Old 04-03-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober Today

Aaand this is why I shouldn't skip meetings...

Man, I want a drink today!! I went to two meetings yesterday so figured I was good for today, but nope!

My mind is resisting playing the tape through. But going through HALT I will eat and get to bed early. Lunch AA meeting tomorrow so I should be good again.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Stick in there GEAH, sounds like those meetings are really working for you I know as soon as I leave my support group I immediately start to slide backwards. Get some nice food down you! Hope you feel better soon.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

work those steps, mainly 4-7......
Old 04-03-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Today

My sponsor still has me doing step one work
Old 04-03-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry you are having a bad day.

I was walking around in circles when I came back from work. Had the biggest dinner ever and now having relaxing tea .. And yes chocolate.

Treat yourself to what you like, you deserve it!!

Be well
Old 04-03-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, meetings are like my spiritual recharge for the day. I always feel better after going to a meeting. Keep up the good work GEAH.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GreenEggsAndHam View Post

Man, I want a drink today!!

Lunch AA meeting tomorrow so I should be good again.
yes for some of us AA works all so well
after 6 years of sobriety I'm still hitting meetings

keep it up -- it got us this far

MM
Old 04-03-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

you culd also call yer sponsor and others in recovery tonight. it would help them as much as it would help you.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober Today

Thanks everyone! I am going to call my sponsor in a few after I get the kids to bed. I'm not going to drink tonight, but just felt out of sorts all day for some reason and then really had a strong urge tonight. Was missing the "ahh relaxing with a drink" feeling that's last through like two drinks and ends in a train wreck.

Thepatman - I almost have enough for a candy bar now. :~p Actually my quitter ap says I've saved $493.28 since I stopped drinking. That can buy me some serious chocolate!
Old 04-03-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Man, I want a drink today!! I went to two meetings yesterday so figured I was good for today, but nope!

My mind is resisting playing the tape through. But going through HALT I will eat and get to bed early. Lunch AA meeting tomorrow so I should be good again.
Meetings keep no one sober, its working the steps that keep us sober.

OK I heard a great message on that playing the tape through slogan. If you look at it in a different angle it makes complete sense. At certain times we have no mental defence against the first drink. Its in our literature. This means, something happens and we dont even think about it, we just drink. So playing the tape through will maybe work most of the time, but that one mental blank spot is where it gets ya. If you work the steps, you are on solid ground my friend.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're getting through this.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I believe working the steps will bring recovery but I also believe meetings are critical to sobriety
Old 04-03-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! I am going to call my sponsor in a few after I get the kids to bed. I'm not going to drink tonight, but just felt out of sorts all day for some reason and then really had a strong urge tonight. Was missing the "ahh relaxing with a drink" feeling that's last through like two drinks and ends in a train wreck.
Oh, I can so relate but stay strong, GreenEggs, stay strong. Keep showing us just how amazing you are.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober Today

Thanks again everyone! I just had to get it out - even when we are feeling great and strong that urge to drink can pop in our head so easily in early recovery - or mine anyway. Nothing bad or stressful happened today - it was a good day. Seemed like a good enough day to drink I guess, at least according to my AV.

My sponsor is having me work on a writing assignment so I'll get some of that in tonight as well.

I should add that I've felt really tired and...spacey...from my meds but the therapists tell me it's pre-relapse behavior that I want to take myself off of them. I'll give it a little more time and talk it over Tuesday with my therapist.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
EndGame

A guy I know who's in AA told me that his wife asked him if he really needed to go to a meeting every day after about five years of sobriety. He said, "No, I probably don't. But I don't know ahead of time which meeting I need to go to."
Old 04-04-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I believe Bill Wilson also talked about this subject in one of his books, I think it might be As Bill Sees It, I will have to buy that book today at the 5'er and read it. He makes a great comment on it.