Notices

First time posting

Old 04-03-2014, 11:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First time posting

I have used and kicked almost every drug. I still make the stupid choice of picking up a bottle of whiskey, drink to much, and put my loving husband through hours of hell. Wtf is wrong with me!? He is a great husband and father. My life now is better than it ever has been. Why am I focusing on the little crap that bothers me? I'm very disappointed in myself...
Old 04-03-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome to the forum. You will find plenty of support here if you want to stay sober xxxxx
Old 04-03-2014, 12:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.
Don't belittle yourself. You took the time to find this site in an effort to help with your situation. I'd say that's a pretty smart move.
Lots of really nice helpful people here.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Igotofar!
Old 04-03-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, Igotofar, to SR.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by Igotofar View Post
I have used and kicked almost every drug. I still make the stupid choice of picking up a bottle of whiskey, drink to much, and put my loving husband through hours of hell. Wtf is wrong with me!? He is a great husband and father. My life now is better than it ever has been. Why am I focusing on the little crap that bothers me? I'm very disappointed in myself...

Hi,

Being disappointed in yourself is a positive sign as at least you know what you have to do, it sometimes takes us too long to realise what has to change, the first bit you have achieved.
Stay strong, sober and healthy.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
My wagon's in the mud.

Hello and welcome.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome! You are in the right place here. You obviously don't want to be/feel like you are now and don't want to lose what you have in life. Time to get to work and heal the situation maybe? Lots of support on this site x
Old 04-03-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome igotofar - I'm so glad you reached out for some help. I was always sabotaging myself too. It really helped to be here with others who understood.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm going to my first meeting today

I want to thank you all for the warm welcome. It is nice to read your encouraging responses. I'm going to my first meeting today. I believe going will help me. I know I can do this! Last night I was told all the things I did the night before last. It's very upsetting. I'm not a nice drunk. I feel confident in my ability to stop drinking. I'm concerned with my ability to forgive my self. I have acted a fool so many times it's embarrassing. I talked with my husband about going to a meeting last night, he thinks it's not necessary. He told me I can do it on my own. I can, but I still want to go... so I'm going while he is at work. Just an update on what I'm doing.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I want to thank you all for the warm welcome. It is nice to read your encouraging responses. I'm going to my first meeting today. I believe going will help me. I know I can do this! Last night I was told all the things I did the night before last. It's very upsetting. I'm not a nice drunk. I feel confident in my ability to stop drinking. I'm concerned with my ability to forgive my self. I have acted a fool so many times it's embarrassing. I talked with my husband about going to a meeting last night, he thinks it's not necessary. He told me I can do it on my own. I can, but I still want to go... so I'm going while he is at work. Just an update on what I'm doing.
My husband was not too happy with me going to meetings, but I did anyway. You will need all the support you can get to stop addiction and I find that other alcoholics/addicts can understand us best.
Good luch on your first meeting and stay in touch on here....
Old 04-04-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. It sounds like you are doing all the right things. One day at a time we can do this. I am glad you are reaching out for a better life.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It's what we do I guess.. Whiskey makes me crazy too. I guess the best thing you can do is get up, dust yourself off, and give it another shot. Just call it a stumble and learn from it.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hopeful

The meeting I went to yesterday gave me a whole new look at what I'm going through. I used to feel alone in my ways. I heard over and over, from diffrent people, their reasons for picking up a drink. Their "I'll only have one" limit that they inevitability pass and regret. Their self destructive paths. It was like listening to myself! I received a warm welcome, phone numbers, the big book, offers for rides, and lots of encouragement. I'm sure I have chosen to do the right thing and not do this alone. I have stopped drinking for months before, but the 24 hours sober chip I received yesterday means more to me than those months. It's the 24 hours sober after I took action beyond myself. I have a support system now. I am grateful.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm so glad it went well and gave you hope.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Igotofar

D
Old 04-05-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you found help and hope at the meeting.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Reality check

This weekend went well. I didn't realize how often I drank to cope with stress though. Saturday showed me! By 9pm I was ready to take a drink. I breathed through it and found a midnight meeting. I must have smoked a half a pack in those few hours. It was a reality check seeing how bad I wanted to drink over a little stress. This isn't going to be the piece of cake I thought it was going to be, but I made the right choice so I'm proud of myself. I'm thankful that I didn't give in. The way I was feeling, it wouldn't have been pretty!
Old 04-07-2014, 04:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome, dig your heels in, we are all in this together, great support here!
Old 04-07-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

This weekend went well. I didn't realize how often I drank to cope with stress though. Saturday showed me! By 9pm I was ready to take a drink. I breathed through it and found a midnight meeting. I must have smoked a half a pack in those few hours. It was a reality check seeing how bad I wanted to drink over a little stress. This isn't going to be the piece of cake I thought it was going to be, but I made the right choice so I'm proud of myself. I'm thankful that I didn't give in. The way I was feeling, it wouldn't have been pretty!
Well done on being a strong person, it would be easier to give in but you found a way and will continue to find a way.