Notices

When did you lose weight?

Old 04-02-2014, 08:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When did you lose weight?

After you became sober, did you lose any weight? If so, how much and how long did it take?

I've gained about 30 lbs over the years, I'm assuming to drinking and poor diet. Just curious if anyone lost weight after sobriety. Thanks!
Old 04-02-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I lost weight almost immediately but I gained more than 30 pounds over the years.

It just sort of fell off as I didn’t have much of an appetite other than for chocolate and sweets and I still lost weight. I have lost 58 pounds over a year.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Jillian, I gained quite a bit of weight in my last two years of drinking. When I quit, I lost about 20 pounds within two months, and as of now, I've lost of total of 35 pounds (at 7 months).
Old 04-02-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh wow! That's a lot! Are you happy with the weight you are at now Gracie?
Old 04-02-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Kadidee, that's great! I hope to see results as well.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sure did. I am 5'1 and I weighed a little over 160 lbs. (That's not good for a short person.) And in about 2 years of being sober, I lost about 45+ pounds. I am an addict and I had to channel my addiction elsewhere, so, I took the path of exercise. I started off slowly (for I had to. I was a drinker and smoker.) I started walking / light jogging. (Could barely make it down the street without feeling like I was dying.) Then, after staying healthy / sober for about 5 mos., I was able to go a little further. I then realized that instead of just cardio, I needed to step it up and build muscle tone with resistance training. (That was the only way I was going to actually "get strong.") I stuck with it every-stinkin'-day. (Still do. Addictive personality.) Now, I do plyometrics every day, on top of jogging 3 miles without stopping, a few times a week.

I say channel your addictive personality to staying healthy / exercising. It's hard as hell to get into at first, however, if you can imagine how freaking fly you'll look once you lose the chunk, ah man, it's worth it. And when you do lose the chunk, you'll never want to drink or treat your body badly again.
Good luck to you!

-Nat

PS. I would recommend getting on a good supplement. Biotin for energy, calcium / magnesium for bones / muscle, and don't ever underestimate a great PreNatal vitamin with fish oil! haha
Old 04-02-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I gained weight. I needed to. A little more than a decade into sobriety I got really into fitness. Dropped a couple of extra pounds and I've been in the best shape of my life since. I have a goal of being a little bit stronger and healthier each year of my life, and I've been pretty successful thus far. I keep in mind that right now I couldn't run a marathon. I could run 8 or 9 miles, but a marathon... Not. I am certain however if I decided I wanted to do that next year, or when I'm 70, I could train to do that and succeed. I don't buy into the crap that as we get older we get weaker. There are some inevitabilities we have to take into consideration, but I think if we're wise about what we engage in, and listen closely to our bodies we can continue to get stronger and healthier as time goes on. At least until we can't anymore, if that makes sense. That don't have to be until we're in our 90s though .
Old 04-02-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Knat and joe! Great advice!!
Old 04-02-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jillian2563 View Post
Oh wow! That's a lot! Are you happy with the weight you are at now Gracie?
I gained a lot, about 100 pounds over what I should be, so I have some more to go.

The weight loss has slowed down some but I am okay with that. I feel 110% better.

I don’t sweat it to much, it is not on the top of my “to do” list. Just like recovery, it is a journey, not a race. Today, I am happy with where I am.

If I want a cheese burger, I am eating a dang cheeseburger, with bacon, extra cheese, grilled onions and mushrooms and fries on the side with my Coke Zero
Old 04-02-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm there with you! For the most part I try to eat healthy, even when I wasn't sober, but if I'm craving a cheeseburger or steak, I don't beat myself up over it.

But I have gained a lot over the years and definitely want to shed pounds and gain strength. I was just curious how fast some lost weight after stopping putting empty calories in their bodies.

Needless to say, I'm excited to start this new journey! I feel better today than I did yesterday!
Old 04-02-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes! Diets are only a temporary fix. Sure, it's good to eat healthy, but splurging on a cheeseburger or pizza every now and then is not going to kill you. lol. What will kill you though is if you do it every day and don't exercise. haha. Even light walking daily is really great for the ole' bod.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was borderline diabetic and 40 lbs. overweight...8-10 glasses of wine a night rough estimate of 2,000 empty wine sugar calories per DAY, 16-18 thousand extra calories per week. I still have 20 to go and I like to have dessert about 4-5X a week....a little good ice cream, a few chocolates, a piece of cake or cookies....that is ok, my blood sugar is NORMAL.

replace this with healthy herbal tea (caff. free at night) and sparkling water, start slow on the exercise and buy some light dumbbells to start at home...lots of free Youtube circuit routines (I like to follow Shaun T. on facebook).

you might want to take a "selfie" picture of your face weekly, you will be amazed at the difference. You will look and feel so much better soon.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I didn't lose a pound after quitting drinking the first 2 months. That being said I ate tons of chocolate and anything I could get my hands on the first couple of months. Now since I am eating really healthy and walking loads I have lost about 17 pounds and that is 4 months sober. I think all in all when you aren't drinking you make better choices. Most people I know who were overweight and drank looked a LOT better after stopping alcohol the first 6 months.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
you might want to take a "selfie" picture of your face weekly, you will be amazed at the difference.
I hate cameras and I run when people are taking pictures but I did have one picture from 11/2012 that was taken at a bar, of all places, before I quit drinking March 24, 2013.

I have a picture from Christmas 2013 and I put them side by side, UN FRIGGIN real!

I do not even look like the same person. Not only the weight difference but I looked a LOT older.

That is one thing I look forward to when I get to my goal weight, to compare that photo from 11/2012 to the new one.

**My avatar is not me
Old 04-02-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I dropped 6 pounds in three weeks without trying. My dinners have improved because I'm making an effort to cook interesting, healthy meals, and my breakfasts and lunches have always been good. So the primary change I attribute the loss to is dropping all of the empty wine calories. They really add up! :-)
Old 04-02-2014, 02:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!
Old 04-02-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Alcohol…the ultimate "empty calories." I have gained some (15-20 pounds?) over the last few years. I wonder if it's the fact that alcohol, for me at least, often goes with other indulgences, like having that extra bowl of popcorn or a bunch of pretzels. Popcorn and pretzels go great with beer, don't you know. So I am hoping that my dropping alcohol will also let me drop some weight if I also don't each as much junk.

Actually, way back in the late 1990s I knew a guy who was quite alcoholic and *very* thin, very pale too, he did not look healthy at all. When he quit drinking he actually gained a little weight. I saw him earlier today, in fact--he looks great.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yes, I had been fluctuating with my weight for the past 5-6 years, and once I got sober, I lost 10 of the extra 15 pounds I was carrying around and I feel great and healthy. I already ate healthy and when I got sober it gave me the motivation to not shirk my exercise as much as I had been. I love not drinking!
Old 04-02-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

I've lost about 20-25 lbs over 17 months, but different from other people here, it didn't come easy. Instead, like everything else in life, I've had to earn it. I run daily and have cut back on the snacks.

I guess that's the real difference, now that I'm sober, I'm able to work hard, set goals and go out and achieve them with energy and determination whereas before I was.....well drowning in self pity and sorrow.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Sober Today

Not yet. I was hoping the weight would melt off but I, ummm, have taken to sweets.

30 days sober and I have just started to crack down a little on my diet. Not drinking is my priority and I'd rather be fluffy and sober, but I think I can trim down a little now. I used to be in killer shape and can get there again!

btw- I have to laugh. I thought I was still looking pretty good but I was always drunk so of course I thought that. My beer goggles are off now and it ain't pretty!