Notices

10 days... Peeps at work finding out

Old 04-01-2014, 11:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Correction 9 days .... I was jumping ahead of myself --- 9 days

So I know for most people..work isn't as tightly mixed with your personal and medical life ...but mine is 90% mixed and has everything to do with my work In my job we are all a team & support one another - our medical office is in the same building and we have a bar basically at every workplace so being an alcoholic in my job is tough! It's got me to where I am as I have been feeding my disease regularity to celebrate, morn, and be social. This has all been my choice but of course, before my life was unmanageable, I thought I was just in the normal life drinking with everyone else. I have accepted treatment which I feel like I have been giving the chance to live and like I won the lottery!!! And so I will be away from work and of course people will talk -(like with anything in life) I know my priority is me and sobriety and I know NOTHING can change my decision to be sober or accept treatment - I guess I'm just dreading people (like everyone) at work constantly asking me where I was .... I'm an open book and we r trained to asked a whole wack load of questions and be supportive so I know they will dig deep--- I'm nervous cause I just want to go to work and continue on without being labelled even though I'm soooo proud of who I have accepted I am and I want to help others and spread awareness .. So that's where I find myself doing the double standard thing--- wanting to hide saying out loud that I'm an alcoholic (to avoid judgement) to the complete opposite if spreading the word so I can possibly be a lightbulb Or support for some that may need the help. Any thoughts .. Advice!?...
Old 04-01-2014, 11:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi Angel,
I will guess you'll be the hot topic for a day or two and then they'll move on.
I found it helped that my friends knew I had a problem and they were all supportive.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good point thanks
Old 04-02-2014, 02:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

This is just my opinion, but I personally wouldn't tell anyone at work. These things can have a tendency to come back and bite you so to speak. The only person that it is important for us to admit we are alcoholics is to ourselves. And of course spouses etc.

I have always kept my work and personal life separate. But that is just me.

You don't owe anyone an explanation as to why you are taking time off. Tell them you have a family issue that has come up or have a medical condition. People will probably talk no matter what you tell them anyways. Of course this is just my opinion at the end of the day you have to do what is best for you .
Old 04-02-2014, 02:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

and congrats on 9 days .
Old 04-02-2014, 02:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with LadyBC.

There's time enough for you to decide down the track whether you want to be a lightbulb or a trailblazer or whatever

For now there's probably enough work for you to be doing on yourself without involving other people.

I know a lot of newcomers don't believe me but 'no thanks I'm not drinking' is all you really need to say

and yeah congrats on your sober time

D
Old 04-02-2014, 03:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nine days is awesome! Congrats

I would hold out on the "I am an alcoholic" banners for now.

I do understand were you are at and I was there too. I am year sober now and I am glad I kept it to myself. It gave me a chance to work on myself, the steps and the AA program as a whole.

I am still in the closet and there are times I think about coming out of it but I am just not comfortable yet. I am open and friendly at AA meetings. I am active in my HG, I chair meetings and I have done a couple leads. I give my number to new woman. That is how I help and that is what I am comfortable with, for now.

That may change down the road but my sobriety always must come first. I can't save the world why I am still learning to save myself.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hey Angel, I'm with the majority in that I wouldn't put the label on myself as 'alcoholic'.

My line when it was new was that I'd given up drinking for a while. That doesn't make you an alcoholic; you could be on a health drive, or want to lose some weight, or training for a marathon, or you had a bet with a mate.

Time goes by and people get used to it.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Twice now, 7 years apart, I've "disappeared" from work fairly suddenly to go to treatment and both times was gone for a month. Both times the reason for my absence was known and approved by my supervisors. I have no idea what my supervisors told people with regard to my absence but I was never questioned when I returned. I am sure people talked at first but I never heard about it. You might be questioned but people tend to have short attention spans and something new always comes up. If someone does ask I would just say that you were attending to some personal business and needed the time to do so and leave it at that. If someone persists you can look at them point blank and tell them that you are okay and that it won't impact your ability to do your job but you won't discuss it further. And then change the topic.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

You really don't have to tell anyone if you don't want to. Or as someone else pointed out it would be old news soon enough. As we say, today's news in tomorrow's chip paper xxxxx
Old 04-02-2014, 07:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey everyone phew I'm glad I put that post out there .. It gave me some great perspective and brought my anxiety down thanks 10 days sober am excited to add some zeros to this number .. 1 day at a time
Old 04-02-2014, 12:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey Angel!
Who cares what everybody thinks. I'm an alcoholic, your an alcoholic and so are a bunch of other people.. IMO, it doesnt matter what they think, it's how you feel about yourself that matters, because at the end of the day it's you that matters. You have to go home to yourself not them.
You are just choosing to live a different lifestyle!