Notices

not doing the right thing

Old 04-01-2014, 09:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

not doing the right thing

Hi,
I am new to this....Not sober, but investigating options. I want to stop drinking, but every morning I feel I can,every evening I cannot. I have history of alcoholism and it is affecting my kids...you would think that would be the catalyst, but i still can't stop. Please any unique advice outside of, "you will feel better, etc...." I cannot go to rehab, my job wont allow...
Old 04-01-2014, 09:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How about AA?
Old 04-01-2014, 09:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Brooke, welcome to SR. I felt the same way for a long time before I quit drinking...every morning I said I wouldn't, but then I did. The good news is that you CAN stop. You will find a lot of support here. If you look at the threads in the newcomers forum, you will see Class of April. Posting in a class is a great way to get support and feedback on how to replace drinking with other things. I know you can do it.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
p***enger

Brooke, welcome to SR! You're in the right place to learn about quitting, to get sober, to get tons of support, and for great human warmth and wisdom.

I agree with Kadidee about joining a class. Or to start, as someone here told me once, just post post post!

As for advice, I'd say start by spending a lot of time here, soaking up advice instead of booze. See you how feel with a few days booze-free and what support options you learn about that you can try. I think there's no wrong answer to how to get straight, except "by drinking."
Old 04-01-2014, 10:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Brooke, try going to an AA meeting. Tell them what you said here. You can be discrete if you need to be.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Brooke1234- welcome

A lot of people find the monthly support thread helps...why not check it out?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-2014-a-3.html

post in there as much as you need to

D
Old 04-02-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome Brooke xxxx
Old 04-02-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Brooke. There's a lot of great wisdom here, not just the current threads but also older posts and blog entries. Poke around a little, so much good stuff. And don't be afraid to reach out, most everyone is friendly and responsive.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, Brooke. You can do it.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

welcome i was the same... every morning i was done with alcohol and every night i was getting drunk... one day i just decided enough is enough, im doing it without meetings or rehab and im doing well, if you slip then you try again i wish you all the best
Old 04-02-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome, Brooke, to SR. I, too, had great resolve in the morning; could feel it crumbling by 3:00, and all bets were off by 5:00.

You can gain sobriety.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks

Thanks for the support, suggestions, and welcomes!
Old 04-03-2014, 01:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Welcome, Brooke! I'm finding my solution in AA. I don't have a problem with alcohol. I have a problem with living sober! Getting back into AA has helped me feel like i can actually do it. I'm not a unique drunk. I am frighteningly similar to many of the alcoholics i have met. I've met several people whose stories are like mine and they found sobriety and acceptance in AA. Being sober hasn't solved my problems but it's giving me the courage to face them.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Brooke1234 View Post
every morning I feel I can,every evening I cannot
You're not the only one mate.

Pick your moment, then try.

Get through one night; then try and do it again.

Sure ain't easy though eh?
Old 04-03-2014, 09:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks!!! Not a fan of AA (Don't shoot me on this one) My sister is a career AA person at 62. Still drinking... Her husband has been sober 20+ years through Rational Recovery. I think everyone has the "thing" that clicks for them. Still trying to find mine!
Old 04-03-2014, 09:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Brooke,
Welcome!
I didn't really have an answer to what was going to work for me at first. I kind of had to just string together days of not drinking and at the same time find what got me inspired to keep doing it.

A lot of it was the support I got here. Some days I tried something different. Just me but what worked for me was just being open to doing what got me to the next day. Sometimes it was as easy as a pint of hagan daz ice cream and some days it was me blabbing my heart out to my March 2013 classmates.

Just me. All I know is I had to do something. I knew I couldn't wish or think it away. I knew I was the one that had to change...alcohol wasn't going to.

You can do it!
Old 04-03-2014, 09:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Brooke for me it was important to change my environment. As crazy as it might sound changing the chair I sat in, occupying my hands with knitting, moving the wineglasses to a higher shelf all helped. I found a non-alcoholic drink I really liked and poured that at the witching hour. I think that in recovery we need to change things not just take something away.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Are there any sponsor people out there that will take on a person online?
Old 04-04-2014, 09:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I dunno about that, seems kinda shady and inpracticle. Be putting alot of trust into a stranger. Look if you are not a fan of AA, then why do you want a sponsor now, or is this sponsor thing for another program like Addivtive Voice or SMART or Rational Recovery or whatever. Look just look-up their phone number and go to a meeting, whichever program it is. And if you are in a small town, try a support group of some sort. Face to face is waaaaaay better then online, especially if you are in a decent sized town. You could also try a head shrink.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I also could not stop drinking, but nothing changes if nothing changes. I got to the point where I had to do something about it. I had no arrests, no problems with my drinking, but I just did not like who I had become. The drinking was getting worse and worse, I set a date and had a last hurrah drinking episode. I said thats enough and decided to keep on going.......I go to AA on occassion and his site has helped me tremendously as well.....