Notices

First day to recovery

Old 04-01-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First day to recovery

I have started my journey to sobriety today. I have been reading many posts and am very excited to have found this website. I have been drinking everyday for a long time. (I take a day off here and there) My job is an on call basis and for the first time in 14 years my supervisor was notified that someone thought I was under the influence. That opened my eyes. My career means the world to me and to lose it would be devastating. Also, my youngest child, who is the only one left at home has been making comments lately about my drinking. This is how knew things have gotten out of control. My health has been suffering as well and I feel like crap. Thanks so much in advance for the support.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! You are right, this group is a wonderful support. Just stick with it and keep reading and posting. There are lots of people here (including me) who have felt this despair and shame and beat ourselves up. There is a better way of living x
Old 04-01-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome fightofmylife. I'm so glad you joined us.

I was becoming more reckless towards the end of my drinking career & was often under the influence at work. Mostly from the night before, but I'd take some with me to keep from shaking during the day. I had been at my job many years & was well respected. I humiliated myself and lost credibility with everyone. It was so good to finally stop taking chances and get free of it. You can do this!
Old 04-01-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome fightofmylife

D
Old 04-01-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, fightofmylife, to SR.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Great job to admit that it's time to deal with everyday drinking. You're not alone here.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Fightofmylife - I like your screen name. Welcome to SR. It's time to put the gloves on!
Old 04-01-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome! Congrats on taking the first step.. Like the others have said, we've all been in your situation before. Reading/posting on here has gotten me through some tough moments. Good luck to you, I wish you a safe and rewarding road to sobriety
Old 04-01-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Fightofmylife. Day one is an awesome choice. I am so glad you have joined us. This is the most supportive place I could have ever found. We all want you to make it. Come often, our chat is instant support.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Fightofmylife, First day to recovery is FANTASTIC, congratulations. It is a very good journey to be on, gonna save lots of money, feel better and everything, rootin for ya.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Have any of you gone to your employees and told them you had a problem and were getting treatment? Is it a good idea? I am not sure what to do.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome! You have done the hardest part and that is admitting to having a problem. I am on day 8 and have found the support here invaluable.
Whether you tell your employer us totally up to you. Do you have an anonymous staff support or occupational health you could go to for support?
Old 04-01-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

welcome
Old 04-01-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome you are in a great place, people here understand what you are going through. It may seem daunting but sobriety is beautiful!!! Freedom from the liquid drug alcohol is a blessing. Taking it just one day at a time can be really helpful. I attend AA and it has helped me tremendously. Take care and thinking of you fighter xx
Old 04-01-2014, 07:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fightofmylife View Post
Have any of you gone to your employees and told them you had a problem and were getting treatment? Is it a good idea? I am not sure what to do.
Hi, I am no expert on this but maybe first talk to a doctor or counsellor and get their advice. They can see you in the flesh and assess you better than we can here, and give you professional and independent feedback. Don't rush into saying anything you don't feel comfortable with yet.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
No pity. No remorse. No fear

Right with you fightofmylife. Day 1 (again!!) for me here too! Let's do this!
Old 04-02-2014, 03:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi fight, welcome to SR. Your comment about you youngest commenting on drinking caught my eye. Same thing happened here, and I decided to be very upfront with him when I decided to quit. He's 19 and in college, and he has been so amazingly supportive. You may want to consider doing the same. :-)
Old 04-02-2014, 03:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi there, I lost my career due to being too ill through drinking to carry on, I smelt of booze and working in a hospital it was picked up straight away. They were supportive but I was too far gone by then to take the advice and help, I kept denying it and eventually resigned.

I think this is a wake up call for you, in my experience it is best to be honest and open but it depends what kind of employer you work for. See your dr and see what they have to say. Good luck x