Notices

Getting a sponor

Old 04-01-2014, 07:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting a sponor

If I am truly honest with myself I don't see myself stopping drinking successfully without delving into AA. Maybe I am mistaken. Am I? And, if I give myself seriously to AA it seems I must find a sponsor. What is the sponsor supposed to do that will help me though?
Old 04-01-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Good morning SpringWater.

If you haven't tried AA meetings and working the steps with a sponsor - you should give it a shot. It is the only way? No. But it saved my life. It's not really fair to you if you don't explore it.

What is a sponsor supposed to do? My short definition is to help you work through the steps, sharing their experience, strength, and hope as you go along.

This link: http://www.aa.org/pdf/products/p-15_Q&AonSpon.pdf will give you much more info.

Onward and upward.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AA member

Good news you are thinking of AA.

A sponsor is someone who has been sober a while and has worked through the 12 steps of the AA programme with a sponsor themselves.Somebody of the same sex.

If you go to the meetings you will understand more,there are no set ways of doing things in AA.

When I first started at the meetings the lady I asked to sponsor me had been sober 9 years,her sponsor had been sober 13 years then.Today they have 20 and 24 years sobriety and I have almost 11 years,it works as you can see.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Today

The last time I was in AA I figured a sponsor wasn't really too necessary and never got one. This time a sponsor has proven to be invaluable in helping me see things I'm not seeing clearly and where to direct me in the literature to help me work through things. She will also help with my step work.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

the sponsor helps walk you thru the book and the steps.
It is someone that when you hear talk you think "wow, they got it, I want that"
Old 04-01-2014, 08:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have this intuition that I am not going to be able to do this without a sponsor. Should I follow this intuition? Or am I being silly?
Old 04-01-2014, 09:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I was done with my life. Found an older man. I listened to his suggestions and did exactly what he said. I have stayed sober day after day and I have helped other people. I have stayed out of jail and haven't pooped my pants for awhile. So that is good as well.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Alcohol affects that part of our brain which controls our relations to other people. It takes other people to cure our affliction.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

lilsten to your intuition
You couldnt stop drinking on your own so get the help of a sponsor
Old 04-01-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SpringWater View Post
I have this intuition that I am not going to be able to do this without a sponsor. Should I follow this intuition?
Yes.

It is not only about having a sponsor. Many people come to the program, grab a sponsor and then sit and do nothing other then say “I have a sponsor” when they are asked at meetings.

A sponsor takes you through the Big Book and the steps. They are also there to ask questions to, call when you have a problem and not only about drinking. I talk to my sponsor about all types of subjects.

The point is to find a person that is the main source of information, suggestions and guidance. There is a LOT of information and you need someone to explain and filter it. My head was spinning way to much at the start and I needed someone to sort out what I had heard and what others have done so I could get a program working that was right for me.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Low

It's pretty simple: A sponsor HELPS you. No need to over analyze it...Good luck.