Notices

I can't worry about what others think!

Old 04-01-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I can't worry about what others think!

So I'm back at work today. I am so glad I took yesterday off and went to a dr and a counselor. I didn't drink last night and today is day 2. I feel okay but not good like I want.

I ran into two coworkers this morning and they asked what was wrong with me? Did you drink too much?, they asked. It must be this place (work) because I saw you were smiling on Sunday (on social media).

I'm trying so hard to stop thinking about this. I shouldn't care what they think or say, but I do. I also find myself thinking, well if they log into this site, they'd see me posting! Me being paranoid or worrisome once again over nothing!

I just want to get through work today and get home.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Jillian. I can relate to this. Day 7 here so very early stages. I had similar comments from work colleagues not so long ago. (They had just finished a night shift.. I was coming in on a day shift.. the comments were stuff like "wow you look more tired then us" etc.. which was true I guess). All I can offer is at this stage of your recovery is to stay focused on YOURSELF. You only concern at this point is to stay sober today and tonight. Work gossip/ rumours / chat what ever you want to call it is very temporary I find. Please just focus on yourself. Please just be kind to yourself. No good will come of worrying what other busybodies may think. And lets face it.. in a few days their attention will be on some other matter or somebody else. I am not saying this is easy.. this is a massively tough test for you.. but your sole concern is YOU. Be kind to yourself tonight. Treat yourself to your favourite food and movie etc. Go to sleep tonight rightly proud of yourself and trust me tomorrow you will wake strengthened and in a better frame of mind. Well done for posting during this testing time but should you worry??? No.. just be good to you. Strength and power to you
Old 04-01-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You are exactly right! Thanks for the encouragement and support!
Old 04-01-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I struggle with the "what others think" complex as well. A lot! Starting to slowly realize that it really doesn't matter as long as I'm happy. And I'm also starting to realize I'm happiest when not drinking. Not just not drinking in the literal sense either, but the mindset of trying to be sober for me, not just not drinking. I also have to remember people would probably think more of me when in recovery rather than repeating the same process over and over again. Sorry it's a work situation, that probably makes it even more stressful. But nice work seeing a dr. And councilor! Do what's best for you! :-)
Old 04-01-2014, 08:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I read a good quote that relates to this. It says, "What others think of you is none of your business."
Old 04-01-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I like that ethos!!
Old 04-01-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I worried about what people thought about me a lot when I was drinking. An although I'm only 71 days sober I don't care as much about what people think anymore my confidents is growing slowly
Old 04-01-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think the whole 'peer pressure / what others think' had an enormous impact on my problem drinking. I could be headset on NOT having a drink on an evening but a simple "oh go on.. just have one" would just crack that instantly. Its bizarre because in almost every other area of my life I pride myself on being an individual / being different etc yet the drinking culture thing is so ingrained in British society I found that the hardest to come to terms with. It is not easy but you are definitely I the right place to gain the support you need to stay strong and do whats right for yourself. Power and strength to you
Old 04-01-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you. I'll just be glad when this work say is over.