Notices

Liver detox supplements or cleanses

Old 03-30-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Liver detox supplements or cleanses

Not looking for any actual medical advice with this, but curious if anyone has found any sort of liver (or kidney) detox program that they have been happy with, just to try to help get things going in a better direction.

I've heard Milk Thistle is supposed to be good for the liver... there seems to be a lot of liver detox systems you can buy (supplements, detoxifiers or additives). Has anyone tried something they have felt particularly happy with and would recommend?

I read about a method of making tea out of parsley that is supposed to be good for the kidneys, thought I would give that a try...
Old 03-30-2014, 05:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'd like info on this also, please.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not to rain on anyones parade but my doctor told me that taking things to speed up detox was a waste of money.

The liver detoxes - that's it's function - there's nothing you can take to make it do its job faster.

Any supplement really needs to be talked over with your Dr - not all supplements are suitable for everyone, especially if you're on other meds.

D
Old 03-30-2014, 06:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

The liver except in the most extreme cases will heal itself. At the end I was drinking over 750 ml per day. My liver enzymes were highly elevated according to my Doc. Within 6 months they returned to normal.

The best detox is total abstinence
Old 03-30-2014, 08:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
The liver except in the most extreme cases will heal itself. At the end I was drinking over 750 ml per day. My liver enzymes were highly elevated according to my Doc. Within 6 months they returned to normal.

The best detox is total abstinence

That's the best news I've had all day. My enzymes were 'slightly' above normal according to the doc. I've been fretting about this for 2 months. (8 weeks alcohol free today).
Old 03-30-2014, 08:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I tried Milk THistle and I was extremely itchy.. Turns out if you are at all allergic to ragweed it is not a good idea since ragweed one of the main ingredients. But I know others who have taken it and it was good for cleansing. I think that good clean eating is the best choice at first and then the cleanses. However that being said I decided to do a colon cleanse last week and it was really inexpensive. Nothing notable happened in the TMI department except two things. I had more energy and didn't eat as much as I usually do. I would recommend it.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i heard many doctors say the same thing Dee basically said.

i dought there is any thing that will speed up the function of your liver. your body will detox its self pretty much at a constant rate.

but there is an old saying, dilution is the solution for detecting pollution.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Dr. Google is perhaps the greatest charlatan to ever exist.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Parrotice, I agree with others that the best treatment is abstinence from alcohol and drugs. Maybe you can't target-heal your liver, but you can approach healing your whole body from a holistic angle.

This is what I'm doing for myself:

-eating a high protein diet as tolerated while my liver heals, avoiding simple carbohydrates (those with a high GI index), avoiding processed foods.

-I take supplements of vitamins A, C, K (especially K), and B complex as well as a probiotic (I like fermented foods, like sauerkraut) because liver damage tends to disrupt GI flora (the good guys in your gut that fend off illnesses; this also purportedly affects depression and sleep patterns. My sleep patterns suck.)

-You might also want to check your hemoglobin levels and take iron supplements if they're low. I started taking iron because I'm borderline anemic.

^not medical advice.
I'm a student in the medical field. I know a few things, but mostly don't know a lot of things yet, but I have to pretend I do. Just how I'm working on my own health. I slip up a lot. I ate a bunch of fried chicken tonight, and I think my body hates me from years of abuse.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Water, water & water
Old 03-30-2014, 10:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.... I totally agree, of course abstinence from alcohol and drinking lots of water is the best way to go, for sure... I've been tempted by several liver detox teas out there as well, I suppose they wouldn't hurt but they aren't going to solve anything if the poison is still flowing in.