Notices

Telling your family ?

Old 04-14-2014, 07:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Telling your family ?

Just wondering for all the people who did this if there is any benefit to it. I am 24 and live at home wit the family they have no clue about whats going on. At this point I am really struggling to keep sober I am going to give it another attempt with actually working the steps and going to meetings. The only person I can tell is my father but he will be heart broken to hear this I know that. So the question is has anyone had to do this before? did it bring out any good?
Old 04-14-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You will know when it is the time to tell them. If they don't already have some idea that you are struggling, I'd be really surprised.

Just do what feels right to you, listen to that inner voice. Most families are going to be supportive of recovery, but they may not understand it and you may have to accept that.

You'll do the right thing.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by zoomi View Post
At this point I am really struggling to keep sober I am going to give it another attempt with actually working the steps and going to meetings. The only person I can tell is my father but he will be heart broken to hear this I know that.
As heartbroken as if you continued to drink? I doubt that.

Do what you have to do to get and stay sober, and get as much support as you can.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Zoomie, I can't really add to what has been said, other than to say that as an alcoholic Father and as a Father to two alcoholics- the family almost certainly is aware already (unless you have absolutely no contact with them in any way lol) of your problem and in my case, "because I can't speak for you or anyone else", would wrap you up with unconditional love. That is absolutely something that is your choice whether or not to open up at this time. I for one am glad you see this at such an early age in today's world.Stay strong.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

As other said it's up to you.

But if you tell them and they support you it will only benefit you. Can't get to much support fighting this.