Notices

New to this!

Old 03-30-2014, 04:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this!

Hi,
I'm new to this site and new to recovery. I may need some help. I decided to quit completely as I have tried to have 'just the one' and I simply cannot stop when I start. Does it get easier? Feeling mentally strained, physically awful and not lots of self confidence. Any advice/suggestions much appreciated.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

HI, glad you are here and I here right along with you...tried the "just have one" so many times and it just never does work.....Do you think you may need to detox? you may want to see a dr if you can....the people here are so great and you'll get lots of support and advice.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi. Millions have stopped drinking for various periods of time but for many the trick is to stay stopped.
The first challenge is to be honest with yourself about your drinking and expect your mind to not be helping you for the short term. It will make many excuses for you to have a drink which is the worst thing for us to do. Reading the posts here will help you what to expect. Many years ago I chose AA for my sobriety help.
The bottom line is "if we don't pick up the first drink we don't have to get sober AGAIN."
Keep coming as there are always good answers on these forums, but you have to ask.

BE WELL
Old 03-30-2014, 06:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Angel Wings - That was me, when I started, I could not stop . . . 8 hour, 12 hour, 2 day binges. And the days after; how hard is the anxiety, depression, embarrassment to get over? Staying sober one moment, one day at a time absolutely gets easier! I like the story that our addiction is like being in a jail cell with the key in the door. All you have to do is turn the key and free yourself. For me, the key was "Acceptance of The Truth." Once I looked in the mirror and accepted this is who I am. Right then and there it became easier. Seek help, their are many like us. I am pulling and praying for you AngelWings. You can make this change and will never, ever regret it !
Old 03-30-2014, 06:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome Angelwings. Yes it does get better xxxxxxxxx
Old 03-30-2014, 06:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Welcome

Does it get easier you ask?

I can promise you this, it will get harder by drinking.
There is joy to be found in life when, our lives our not clouded by alcohol.
I've had the joy of having three grand daughters while being sober. Been on vacations to places I'd of not had the money to go if I were drinking.
My relationships with family and friends have gotten better.
Sobriety has been a wonderful journey filled with discovery and a continual self improvement of myself.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi angel wings, it certainly does get easier, I'm a few months sober now and the urge to drink is fainter and fainter.
Also, a lot more of my life is opening up, doing things I couldn't do before because i got too wasted. It's a big, beautiful world out there and even better sober. One day at a time, nod step at a time.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR :-)

Yes, it does get easier.