Notices

end of my rope

Old 03-29-2014, 10:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ebo

end of my rope

Well I don't know what to say . I have been binge drinking to some degree for about 10 years . I have given everything to alcohol and gambling ( that's my combo) anyway I blew it today and had 3 mixed drinks and a few beers. I have tried aa and other programs with limited success. Looking for advice and some direction . I have to stop this has to be my last relapse
Old 03-30-2014, 12:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi ebo, sounds like you haven't really convinced yourself that you have to quit. That's not a reproach as lots of us took a while to reach the tipping point where going on was as painful as stopping.
I'll share how I got there in the hope that some of it might apply to you, but you'll hear from lots of others with different experiences.

So how did I get from an academic understanding of alcohol's damage actually giving up?
- I spoke to my doctor and milked him for information about long term alcohol abuse, especially what his patients who had this looked like, thought.
- I looked up all the stages of alcoholism on the internet and worked out I was progressing from stage 1 to stage 2. Scary.
- I actually took notice of the warnings about alcohol and cancer
- I came onto SR everyday to remind myself of the consequences of relapsing and get some hints on how to deal with cravings or other small problems.

The bit about talking to the doctor was probably the most helpful, but you have to be honest, even if telling the truth is extremely uncomfortable. And if you relapse you have to be honest again. You're doing this for yourself, not your doctor.

You may get to that point where you're motivated, but it's not a magic thing, you have to work at it. It's so worth it in the end though; I look back on my old self with pity.

Hope some of this helps.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

You will find lots of support here.

Keep posting.

Have you been sober for long?
Old 03-30-2014, 12:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's hard, Ebo, getting "ready" to quit. But if it's finally time, then SR will be a great help.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ebo

Yes iam convinced it is time no turning back . I must hear the warnings and act. Just because i have failed in the past does not mean i can't be successful . That's a lie i can be with God's help and daily actions. No not sober long
Old 03-30-2014, 02:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, you can succeed despite past failures. SR can help, at least it has helped me.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Hey ebo! Congratulations on your decision to live a sober life.

What's the plan? You said AA and other programs gave you limited success. Does that provide the foundation for unlimited success, or will you be trying something new?

In addition to support there is lots of great information here at SR.

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 03-30-2014, 08:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi ebo,

I was a drunk and I also got caught up in gambling on sports. I found for me, it's the same animal. Since I got sober and off drugs, I haven't gambled once.

I have googled "gambling addiction" recently and seen some stories online, and it's amazing to see how much DENIAL is going on. There are always the big fish tales, the time they turned $40 into $40,000 - and how they have the spreadsheets to prove it, and how they have a system that wins. Many posters wonder aloud if they have a problem, only to be shouted down and classified as "dumb losers". That's completely untrue.

I think that getting sober will lead to a more rewarding life for you, in all ways. Cut out the addictive behaviors and get some control over your life back. You'll have so few worries that you won't know what to do with yourself! Just make it through tomorrow without a drink. What sort of support do you have? Ever thought about AA or treatment? Good luck in beating this combo, I am sure if you can cut out drinking you can cut out the gambling as well.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

today will be the first day of the rest of your life also

hello ebo
my life as I knew it ended last Thursday 20 years of hard drinking and I do mean hard. in 20 years I probably had 10 12 sober nights and not in a row just because I had too and 2 times I tried to quit on my own ,, first time was short second time I made it 6 days and the D.Ts. was not fun..i do go into a full detox program tomorrow ..there is no choice for me I see that now .. if I continue to drink the way I do I will die ...and yes gambling had a part in my decision to give up..some day soon I will post the story as well as I can remember and filled in by other means ..I am still ashamed of what I done and very thankful that I did not die ..and thanks to a very few friends I have left (not my drinkin buddys) friends that really care (why I find hard to believe cus my drunk ass did test there friendship a lot) so in the last 4 days my life as I knew it is being ended.. and when I get out of my voluntary program there will be nothing to remind me ... this I do know ,, the only person who can change your life is you .. and you have to give into it 1000000% and no I cant ever play back jack again ever .. my advice if your on the fence is to reflect and be totally honest with your self ..don't do like me and get to the point of a very rude and very scary awakening .. I invite you to read my other posts ..read every ones posts (might take awhile)
20 YEARS DRUNK 4 DAYS SOBER (not counting today)