Notices

Grocery shopping trigger

Old 03-29-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Grocery shopping trigger

Headed into grocery store. Already fighting AV about that damn bottle of wine. Hope I win.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Be strong, new wonder. Are you stuck with alcohol in your grocery store where you live? If that were me, I'd be shopping early in the morning!
Old 03-29-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Be strong! You can do it!

Shopping was the thing I feared the most for the first week. I walked right by the poison like it was, well, poison.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I still do not go down the alcohol isles. I have no business there
Old 03-29-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I have to go to the drinks aisle to get water. Absolute nightmare just seeing bottles of booze. Pukesville! I feel lucky because I don't drink any more.The prices are astronomical. (I do tend to look for some reason) My kids, who like the odd drink, tell me you need a mortgage for a a good night out nowadays. Glad that's all behind me, I have my eye on a nice summer top xxxxxxxx
Old 03-29-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Try looking at each bottle as containing headaches, anxiety, depression, destruction. For us, those bottles are disgusting, revolting. They are like the Sirens who try and lure passers by with sweet tempting songs, and once you hear and give in the want to kill you. F the booze section at the store. Our local market just expanded so that the Sirens occupy two full asiles.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Still a trigger for me too, especially the German beers and local micro-brew offerings. Try to avoid that aisle, as others have said.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I understand. I just got back from Whole Foods. While I was there, got a text from my husband asking me to pick up a six pack of IPA. I did it, and it was hard. He has been drinking every night. I have not. Can't say it doesn't bother me.

But I am 10 days sober, and feeling great otherwise. Stay strong folks.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
AA member

I don't notice or look at the alcohol these days,I did in early sobriety.Just imagine the bottles have got poison written on them,because that is what they are if you are an Alcoholic.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Alcohol in grocery stores and quickie marts must be a toughie. Where I live you can only buy at a licensed restaurant, bar or government liquor store along with a few private alcohol-only establishments. That makes it fairly easy to avoid going to places where it can be purchased.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Read your replies while shopping. Did not go down that aisle. Can't say I wasn't tempted. Got worse when my daughter said she was spending the night with friends - whe I was sill at the store. AV jumped for joy "who will know!". Shut AV up cuz Me, you and God would know , and walked out the store without the poison. One day at a time. Thanks y'all !!!
Old 03-29-2014, 05:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That's great, NewWonder! We chalk up a point for the good guys! My temptations also often have a "...and the best part is, nobody will ever know..." vibe.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I took a trip to the grocery store this past Wednesday night to pick up a few things we needed for the next morning. This particular grocery store operates a separate little liquor store next door. Both stores close at 11 PM.

I finished shopping right as both stores closed. I paid for my groceries and left the store. Right as I was stepping outside a guy pulled up and made a beeline for the liquor store next door. He was dismayed to find it had just closed. For a while he stood there, peering through the window at the bottles lined up inside the store with a growing look of desperation on his face.

I was so happy not to be that guy.