Notices

Unsure of my career future...

Old 03-28-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unsure of my career future...

What should I do? I'm not a numbers person. I'm not meant to be in the medical field. Yet ironically, the last two jobs I've chosen have been in both these fields.
I'm better with words and people. Yet I've avoided jobs where These are the key components.
I'm starting to move up in a job, where I know I can try my best but I will never excel. It revolves around numbers and accounting... I took the low grade math in highschool and barely scraped by, and got a 96% on my English final in highschool, have been writing since I was 6 just to give a little background. I hate numbers. I'm not overly outgoing but seem to connect with people who I've known for a bit.
I'm financially stable in my position and have a good benefits plan.
So my question is: at 26 do I stick with this job? Am i just insecure about what I can do because of my addictions? Do I push myself to be better at my current job? Can I get better at it with time? Or do I start looking into going back to school, (I'm leaning towards a path in social work) which would mean financial instability, new stresses, but what I think is a better fit for me? Do I follow my brain or my heart? So lost....
Old 03-28-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not sure anyone can answer that for you Zoey.
Do you need to make a decision right now?

D
Old 03-28-2014, 08:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No, probably don't need to answer it right away. The program I'm interested in requires a
Couple hundred hours of volunteer work before your accepted which seems like a great idea, get to see if it's something I could really enjoy. I'm just in a weird place right now, not liking my job, my life, or my career decisions. And I know I need to heal myself before I can help heal anyone else. I guess that's what I should focus on, thanks Dee
Old 03-28-2014, 08:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL I think you worked most of that out yourself...

but yeah I think it's ok to give a little time to your recovery first - find out who sober Zoey is

D
Old 03-28-2014, 08:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Haha yep, I tend to create these grandiose ideas when I'm coming off a binge, new career, new location, new whatever. I know that my problems will follow me no matter what new endeavour I take on... Zoey needs to work on Zoey first, and the rest will fall in place as it should. Gez, writing it all down is so therapeutic when I go off like that haha
Old 03-28-2014, 09:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
To be content

Hi Zoey, I was running through your same questions a couple years ago. I changed careers went back to grad school, however I started to drink very heavily. I am in no way telling you to not go back to school. I didn't know the extent of my addiction until I met the stresses of school, a new job, and then relocation for a job after grad school. I some how managed to make it through classes, but finishing my grad project I have delayed a semester to deal with my addiction. I told myself I wasn't going to drink because I was changing my life and was so excited. I thought I wouldn't turn back to it like I had in the past. Problem was I didn't have a plan with how to deal with my addiction when things got tough.
My advice would be to get help for your addictions now, while you have the good job and money. Then continue with the help that works for you counseling, AA, SR and/or the support of friends/family while you are in school. You are young and have time. I always say follow your heart, just have a good solid plan how to deal when things get rough because they will. I don't regret going back to grad school. I am very excited to be doing more of what I have wanted to do. Do what you feel is right for you and good luck!
Old 03-28-2014, 09:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My thoughts? Follow your heart. Don't think about time, money or anything else. If what you like is people and words, then that is YOU!

I just read something about people on their deathbeds, and their biggest regret was... NOT doing what they knew that they loved.

My guess is, if you invest in you and what you love doing, daybreak to night, the other, addiction thing might actually jump off the map.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

one quick story. i had an assistant in interior design, who clearly told me that she much preferred graphic design. instead of keeping on going on in interior design, i encouraged her to get into graphic design classes, bite the bills, and move in her own direction. she is head of graphics for coldwater creek, is married, has a great house, a great life, and doing what she really wants to do. you will be much more of a force doing what you love. and omit any thought of money. invest in you!
Old 03-28-2014, 10:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks all. I guess I'm just unsure if this a decision to divert myself from the focus from myself... I've always wanted to be a counsellor, I'm leaning towards youth, maybe addictions when I'm sorted out in the future. So this isn't some crazy new idea I've come up with, I would love to be a professional source of support for others, I think this would be a great way to use my positive attributes towards a career I enjoy.
But I don't want this to be an attempt to heal the hurt I experienced in my youth.

At 26 I feel like I need to make up my mind quick, on the other hand I know I need to figure out myself before I can be there for others. If I still want to venture out into a new career path I'm sure it will still be waiting for me when I'm ready for it.